Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VHT Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VHT Paint

So I was thinking about doing the front nose bird glow mod, and I was thinking about painting the background black with several coats (with the bird taped off), then painting another coat or two of VHT night shade over that, so that it would appear to be all black, then putting another several layers of clear over that as well.

Would this work well or would the paint not bond right?

My goal is to have the bird glow, but if its off, you can't tell I've done the mod.

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've got a plan. Painting the inside of the clear panel or outside? If you paint the inside, 1- rock chips won't mess up the appearance and 2- you can polish the outside occasionally to spruce it up w/out fear of messing up the paint. . .
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well... I was going to prime it, sand, maybe prime again, paint black to match my car, wet sand, another coat, wet sand repeat as required, all with the bird masked off then VHT the whole thing with the mask removed (or should I mask the background and only do the bird with the VHT??) And then another coat.. with coats of clear.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Just make sure you know that the paint you are going to use will work together as it would suck to do all that work using VHT paint and then put clear over it that does not work with the VHT and have the whole thing lift and you have to spend hours stripping it back down and starting over.

Many times pre-mixed paint in a can will not mix well with certain types of clears (unless they are from the same company mixed to work together), so before you do anything do a test panel just to make sure.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a cool idea to me. I would like to see pics of it when its completed.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemech21
sounds like a cool idea to me. I would like to see pics of it when its completed.

I'll upload them when I get it done.... I just ordered the front piece tonight
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemech21
Part 1: Mask off the clear front bird
A:

B:

Part 2: Primer, Sand, paint color you want (color of car would be my guess? lol) Missed the primer stage, but I did snap a picture of the gloss.

I don't know what those specs are on the bottom right of the cover, they only showed up in the picture...

Edit: More pictures tomorrow, after I get the lights hooked up.