Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chips

i bought a z28 not too long ago and it is in fairly good condition, minus some chicago damage..the car has some chips in the paint, is there anyway i can "patch" em up and make it look legit or is there just touch up paint?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, your only option is touch-up. Only other way is to have them repaired and the panels repainted. Sorry
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

arguh i was hopin there was another way haha but thanks bro
Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a body shop book on paint and small repairs and see if they have a guide. than you will need a sanding block, a buffer or polisher would be better than doing it by hand but you could if really needed.

Get the touch up, rubbing compound, polish, 2500 grit paper, bllock.

Sand down and flaten the scratch so its not so deep. Than cut the tip of the touch up paint brush on a 45 degree so it forms half a triangle tip. use light lines and apply the paint.

Wait 15 min and use compound to get excess paint from the sides of the scratch and polish some of the paint you just put on away. filling up the scatch is the object here. Also get rid of the scratches the paper did from the flaten down stage.

After you do it a few times its time to sand down the whole area. let it dry 3hrs from last application of paint and than sand it with the 2500 on the block. Than buff the whole area, the scratch should fill up with paint and blend in. The excess paint should be sanded and buffed away and look pretty good.

Your going to have to judge what to do from here. It may be easier to use the rubbing compound and polish that may be the way to go. Or clean things up with paper.

This is the best way to clean it up. It may not look perfect but it wont stick out nearly as bad. goodluck

Last edited by slomarao; 11-05-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slomarao
Buy a body shop book on paint and small repairs and see if they have a guide. than you will need a sanding block, a buffer or polisher would be better than doing it by hand but you could if really needed.

Get the touch up, rubbing compound, polish, 2500 grit paper, bllock.

Sand down and flaten the scratch so its not so deep. Than cut the tip of the touch up paint brush on a 45 degree so it forms half a triangle tip. use light lines and apply the paint.

Wait 15 min and use compound to get excess paint from the sides of the scratch and polish some of the paint you just put on away. filling up the scatch is the object here. Also get rid of the scratches the paper did from the flaten down stage.

After you do it a few times its time to sand down the whole area. let it dry 3hrs from last application of paint and than sand it with the 2500 on the block. Than buff the whole area, the scratch should fill up with paint and blend in. The excess paint should be sanded and buffed away and look pretty good.

Your going to have to judge what to do from here. It may be easier to use the rubbing compound and polish that may be the way to go. Or clean things up with paper.

This is the best way to clean it up. It may not look perfect but it wont stick out nearly as bad. goodluck

thanks man that helps i think im gonna try that on my junk car and then my z haha