Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

TA raised spoiler mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TA raised spoiler mod

I know this idea has been tossed around several times but I have the material, the spare time, and an extra spoiler so I'm not losing anything and I can throw the spoiler in the dumpster if I mess it up

what I'm wanting to do is add an inch or two of width on either side at the widest point... two to three inches of length on the back side... and a raised lip on the back edge similar to the Mecham spoiler - only instead of a straight up 90*, I'd lay it down a bit, say 135* ish

looking at the car from the front or rear, I'd like the far edges of the spoiler to be close, if not the same width, as the widest point of the quarter panels... or I've even considered shaving the farthest edges of the spoiler and just making it longer... I'll have to think about that a bit

I've noticed the spoiler is two pieces - a lower cupped piece and an upper flat piece. I cannot see how they're bonded together but I'm assuming I can fill the gap, right? If not, lemme know why...

as far as adding the extra material, what I was thinking was using varying length wood screws to establish a frame - screwed into the spoiler and staggered around 4-6 inches apart. Then, using aluminum wire to connect the tops and middles of each screw. Kind of like rebar below a cement slab.
Once the basic framework was established, I was going to use small sheets of fiberglass and resin to build upon both sides of the 'frame' until it was no thinner than .5in.
Where the new fiberglass touches the existing spoiler material, I would assume it would need to be sanded down to the original fiberglass for a good bond...right?

Anyway, for the experts out there, lemme know how this sounds or if there's anything I can do to promote strength and good adhesion

like I said, I have the material and extra spoiler so I have no issues throwing this in the dumpster if it gets messed up

THANKS
Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea... Take pics of your progress.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk it could be heavy, do you have any pics of a similar wing, sounds cool though
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure would like to see it if ya ever do that.