Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

White paint CLEAR COAT PEELING

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White paint CLEAR COAT PEELING

I need to know what grit of sand paper to use to sand the certain areas. I know some of you guys are going to give me the " its gonna look like crap" line. But I think just re-clear coating the spots wont look bad because the car is white. Ive been searching like crazy , but now I need my own feedback. Thanks fellas.

Cal
Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Bump...somebody? anybody?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will take multiple grits ( 800, 1000-1500, 2000 wed dry paper)lots of soapy water, sealer, primer, color then clear... then wetsand and polish a little at a time to get a duplicate finish.... I do it all the time
Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Once the clear starts to peel its a downhill spiral. Mine started this about 2 years ago, now my entire hood is satin, the clear is gone from the top of the sail & quarters too. And it didnt always peel just from a edge already peeling, it would get random bubbles come up away from the edge after it first started.

Good luck tryin to fix it but my guess would be it needs all the clear sanded off, fresh base & fresh clear put back on.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
it will take multiple grits ( 800, 1000-1500, 2000 wed dry paper)lots of soapy water, sealer, primer, color then clear... then wetsand and polish a little at a time to get a duplicate finish.... I do it all the time
Thanks. Im not trying to primer and paint though. Im just trying to get it done the easy way.

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Once the clear starts to peel its a downhill spiral. Mine started this about 2 years ago, now my entire hood is satin, the clear is gone from the top of the sail & quarters too. And it didnt always peel just from a edge already peeling, it would get random bubbles come up away from the edge after it first started.

Good luck tryin to fix it but my guess would be it needs all the clear sanded off, fresh base & fresh clear put back on.

Ive been hearing that. But I seen a video of a guy re-clearing some peeling spots on a del sol on you tube. It came out kind of decent. I just dont know what grit of paper to use.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
Thanks. Im not trying to primer and paint though. Im just trying to get it done the easy way.

Ive been hearing that. But I seen a video of a guy re-clearing some peeling spots on a del sol on you tube. It came out kind of decent. I just dont know what grit of paper to use.
you have to do it the way i described if you want it to match and last... white is a little more forgiving than other colors but i assure you, do it the right way or you will be sorry...

Quick Reply: White paint CLEAR COAT PEELING