Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need advice on painting this panel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on painting this panel.

I own a 1994 chevy camaro and the black panel I guess you would call it between the t tops and back window needs some painting. What is happening is the clear coat bubbled and now it looks like hell. I need to re clear coat it, can someone tell me what paint I can use? what size grit paper? and steps on taking good cautions to make it stand out good? Also can I remove that black panel to make it easier to sand and spray instead of painting it on the car?

Thanks guys hope you can help
Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

You will need a soft sanding block,some 320 and 500 wet/dry paper, red scuff pads,auto masking tape and plastic.
Use the 320 to feather( smooth out the clear past the pealing edge) and then over the entire panel with 500. Since the clear is pealing you will cut through to the basecoat and maybe the sealer. I would recommend you primer the panel also to prevent any rings from showing. Sand primer w/500 when dry and use the red scuff pad to sand the edges.
You don't need to take it off the car but I would remove the little triangle pieces but you can tape them up if it's not a big deal. Wipe everything down with wax n greese remover then mask and plastic it off. Then wax n greese again then blow off with a air blower. Then u will need to put black basecoat (2-3 coats) and clear (2-coats).or you can get some single stage black(2-3 coats). Hope this helps not ad many people on here on Saturday evenings to post so you'll usually wait for someone to post.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
You will need a soft sanding block,some 320 and 500 wet/dry paper, red scuff pads,auto masking tape and plastic.
Use the 320 to feather( smooth out the clear past the pealing edge) and then over the entire panel with 500. Since the clear is pealing you will cut through to the basecoat and maybe the sealer. I would recommend you primer the panel also to prevent any rings from showing. Sand primer w/500 when dry and use the red scuff pad to sand the edges.
You don't need to take it off the car but I would remove the little triangle pieces but you can tape them up if it's not a big deal. Wipe everything down with wax n greese remover then mask and plastic it off. Then wax n greese again then blow off with a air blower. Then u will need to put black basecoat (2-3 coats) and clear (2-coats).or you can get some single stage black(2-3 coats). Hope this helps not ad many people on here on Saturday evenings to post so you'll usually wait for someone to post.
Alright that works out great thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

its just going bubble and look the same way again after you paint it. problem is the glue GM used to install the panel at the factory.the glue reacts with the fiberglass that the panel is made of.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like this to me too...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by McNord
Yea this is for 98 and up I believe

Quick Reply: Need advice on painting this panel.