Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

vinyl wrapping the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sharp! I am thinking of wrapping my T-Tops. How tough do you think that will be? I think they measure out at 24". Is there enough stretch in the 1080 that I can get by with 24" material, or do I need to sink a bunch more cost into getting wider pieces?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cancam99ss
Where did you get the materials from
He told us where he got the vinyl in one of his replies on the first page.

Car looks great! Did you end up needing seams on the front bumper? How long till Barney gets back on the road?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just gonna say the 1080 stuff seems pretty cool, I just received some carbon fiber and white carbon fiber samples today. Regarding my previous question about the FRCs and now dealing with this stuff myself, I'd say it would need to be sanded, just to give everyone else an idea of how it lays down
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Did you ever get this finished? Would love to see it all done.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

You've inspired me. I already ordered some sample colors for my TA. Did you do it yourself or have people helping you? And it looks like you are doing it dry. Is this correct? I found a link on here where a guy did a corvette and did it wet. Not sure which would be better. The wet seemed like it took longer because he had to wait for oil to escape before he sealed the edges. Mines a DD so I don't think that would work out. Car looks great, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Came out pretty damn good OP. I'm going to look at wrapping the project car I'm working on. I bought 25' of the carbon fiber scotchprint 1080 stuff, and i've been wrapping a lot of stuff. You learn more with each piece you wrap, its certainly something that takes some time to get used to.

Originally Posted by bill12690
Regarding my previous question about the FRCs and now dealing with this stuff myself, I'd say it would need to be sanded, just to give everyone else an idea of how it lays down
Yeah I'd recommend sanding them first. I had my frc's painted before, so they were already sanded smooth. But i decided to switch it up and wrap them and they came out nice and smooth. It is a thin vinyl and will show the texture of whatever you are wrapping. Did that along with my SLP lid, battery cover, PCM cover, brake fluid reservoir cover, and a couple other things in the engine bay.

just a heads up, it would probably be very difficult to used it on the letters. What i did was paint the entire stripe/letter area silver, and then taped off the tops of the stripes/letters using an exacto knife to trim all excess tape, and then I painted everything black. Once the tape was removed, the top of the letters/stripes now clearly stands out in silver against the black background. I then brought the vinyl right up the the stripes, which kinda blends with the black paint.

not the best pic, but it'll give you an idea. Waiting till I make the final touches before I take it out for real pics. With the decals, you get the SAME effect as putting flat black stripes on a black car, from certain angles (like in the pic) they really stand out, but most of the time the decals are a very subtle touch, barely even noticeable. I love it!

Name:  securedownload2.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
You've inspired me. I already ordered some sample colors for my TA. Did you do it yourself or have people helping you? And it looks like you are doing it dry. Is this correct? I found a link on here where a guy did a corvette and did it wet. Not sure which would be better. The wet seemed like it took longer because he had to wait for oil to escape before he sealed the edges. Mines a DD so I don't think that would work out. Car looks great, thanks for sharing.
This stuff is not supposed to be installed wet, it is supposed to be a dry install. Its hard to explain, but it can be pulled up and repositioned as you work, and you should absolutely have a heat gun. With the way the material can be stretched/pulled to shape, that would be impossible with it wet as it would be slipping. I mean, you can do it, clearly he did, you just end up installing it completely different than it's designed to, and I wonder what effects a wet install will have on the adhesives used?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
This stuff is not supposed to be installed wet, it is supposed to be a dry install. Its hard to explain, but it can be pulled up and repositioned as you work, and you should absolutely have a heat gun. With the way the material can be stretched/pulled to shape, that would be impossible with it wet as it would be slipping. I mean, you can do it, clearly he did, you just end up installing it completely different than it's designed to, and I wonder what effects a wet install will have on the adhesives used?
Yeah see I thought it was wired. I was under the impression that it was meant to install dry also. I'm not sure what the effect is. The oil he had said it was for doing vinyl like that so who knows. Thanks for the tip though. You're work looks great.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

this looks great going to tackle this myself
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

realllly like that matte alum thought it would look primer-ish but not that case
Old 10-19-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is pretty cool. I might have to try this on my s10.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any more pics of this one, finished? Daytime pics?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Sure don't, I wrapped it brushed black about a year and a half ago now. Search brushed black and you can see the current color
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

This might be a option now yours turned out very good

Quick Reply: vinyl wrapping the car