Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

touch up painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default touch up painting

Ive recently replaced my driver side door and their were several spots where the clear coat had bubbled and peeled off leaving the paint exposed I got some matching touch up paint(not by choice but its rattle can) from the auto store wet or dry sand paper and some some clear coat also in the rattle can.....this is my very first time ever doing this I wet sanded the areas required now u can kind of see the spray pattern I understand I need to make a light spray to even the coat . My question is do I sand the areas again and add another coat and than clear coat or do I just get the coat even and clear coat ? And after that do I sand the clear coat with a really fine grit like 2000 and than re clear coat?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Launching!

nobody?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Launching!

So you already sprayed the t/u paint and it came out uneven if I'm reading this right? You can't go on until the paint is even, this could be hard in a rattle can for sure... how big are the spots? If they're not very big you can use paint thinner to wipe up the excess/uneven paint before it dries to keep from having to repeatedly sanding it. Personally I use the small brushes if I can because they are much easier to control.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Launching!

The base coats are even ....I just wondered is their anything I have to do before I clear coat it or anything specific during the 1st 2nd 3rd clear coat layers?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

This method wont last very long (rattle can) but can look ok for a temporary fix. The main thing is to keep it clean and wax free. In between clear coats just allow proper flash (dry) time. You are going to have an edge where the clear ends unless you spray the whole door. This is not he ideal way to do it and may end up looking worse than before. The proper method would be to strip at least the clear and repaint it.

Quick Reply: touch up painting