Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport4life
This thread should be a sticky!

Great info in here!
No need. We already have a sticky on this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Guess that goes to show how little the stickies ever get noticed.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn dude that top looks good thanks for the info guys i believe mine is good then as i see not signs of bubbles under my factory replaced roof. It's perfect from what i can see
Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well one day down and no bubbles so far. I believe they showed up about 4 days after I painted the original roof. I'll keep you all posted.

Even after all the reading I've done I am still not certain what causes these bubbles. I know the sticky mentions the lack of primer on the underside of the panel but honestly I'm not completely convinced that's the cause. I am looking at the GM bulletin as I type and unlike most TSB's it does not include a cause, just a condition and correction. Has anyone else PERSONALLY done a similar repair that I did? The donor car that my roof was taken off of was a '94, known to not have any bubbling issues, and the underside was not painted/primed. In fact, the fiberglass looked to have been different then the one off of my car, an 01. Although appearances can be deceiving the urethane that was used also looked the same(looked like windshield urethane) and the urethane that GM calls out to use is just 3M windshield urethane.

If the true reason why the urethane seeps through and causes bubbles was the lack of primer on the underside of the roof, then why didn't the '94 paint bubble? Different urethane? Different fiberglass?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

There are rumors as to what the exact cause was. Some say the urethane was changed in late 98 and some say the panel was prepped differently. Regardless, if you use a 93-mid 98 panel and the urethane called for in the TBS than you are good to go.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TechCam97
There are rumors as to what the exact cause was. Some say the urethane was changed in late 98 and some say the panel was prepped differently. Regardless, if you use a 93-mid 98 panel and the urethane called for in the TBS than you are good to go.
The more I look at it and talk to the body shop guys, we think the fiberglass is different. Could GM have changed suppliers or the process in which the panel was actually made in late '98? Like I stated before; the '94 panel had no sort of primer that you could see. Of course the actual prepping process may have been different, there's no way of knowing unless someone who was on the assembly line could verify. But comparing the '94 to the '01 panel it's obvious that it's not the same panel, and you can see on the '94 panel where the urethane was laid down that it left a stain yet had no evidence of seeping through and bubbling on the top side.

I also wanted to mention a few weeks back that the body shop repaired and re-sprayed a C4 Corvette, not sure the exact year I'm pretty sure it was late 80's. Anyway, after the re-spray guess what showed up on the rear quarter panels... I tried to get a picture but due to the lighting and color it wouldn't come out. The bubbles were identical, they tried to spray it again(knowing what the outcome would be due to having the same issue with my car) and the bastards came right back.

As long as I never see a bubble again *knock on wood* I'll be happy but with all the work that was put into this roof I'd love to have a solid answer.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Grifter
Could GM have changed suppliers or the process in which the panel was actually made in late '98?
This is entirely possibile, since there are some late '98s (05/98 or later) that don't have the issue either, which would suggest that old inventory was being depleted as new inventory was being introduced, and thus some overlap of "good" and "bad" panels during that period.

I don't have much personal experience with the hard top panels. I've seen several t-top panels though, I remember one from a '96 specifically, and it had some paint sprayed on the areas where the glue was applied...the "bad" panel on my '02 did not have this from what I saw after it's removal. I'm not sure why your '94 panel was bare.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is entirely possibile, since there are some late '98s (05/98 or later) that don't have the issue either, which would suggest that old inventory was being depleted as new inventory was being introduced, and thus some overlap of "good" and "bad" panels during that period.

I don't have much personal experience with the hard top panels. I've seen several t-top panels though, I remember one from a '96 specifically, and it had some paint sprayed on the areas where the glue was applied...the "bad" panel on my '02 did not have this from what I saw after it's removal. I'm not sure why your '94 panel was bare.
Working at the dealer I've seen parts change quite often, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case here. You can see in the one picture I posted of the '94 panel flipped underside down that there's no sign of paint or primer on the underside. Just makes me wonder that's all.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As you were setting the roof down on top of the urethane did you need to smack it with your palm to get it to sit down and line up correctly to get the gaps right. Or was it a simple matter of sitting it down and light pressure to make sure the glue stuck to the panel and that was that.

1 Last and final question did you need to clamp it in any spots afterward.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
As you were setting the roof down on top of the urethane did you need to smack it with your palm to get it to sit down and line up correctly to get the gaps right. Or was it a simple matter of sitting it down and light pressure to make sure the glue stuck to the panel and that was that.

1 Last and final question did you need to clamp it in any spots afterward.
Yes, we needed to make slight adjustments to the roof, including giving it some nice smacks on the top, to help it settle. It moved pretty easily though and the urethane takes a few hours to begin to harden.

We didn't clamp anything but it is very important to note that we lowered the front of the headliner and wedged little rubber pieces in between the roof frame and roof panel to push the front edge up and make it flush with the windshield molding. If we didn't do that there would of been a decent sized gap between te panel and molding. We also put wedges at the right and left front corners.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need. We already have a sticky on this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Guess that goes to show how little the stickies ever get noticed.
I've read through that thread and even posted in it. This thread has more technical questions being asked and a person actually removing and replacing his roof which was no where to be seen in that thread. The best thing about that thread that was posted actually by you I believe, and it was the TSB. I'm a hardtop guy and I feel this thread is invaluable to for me since I will have to do this eventually since I have the bubbling problem.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've read through that thread and even posted in it. This thread has more technical questions being asked and a person actually removing and replacing his roof which was no where to be seen in that thread. The best thing about that thread that was posted actually by you I believe, and it was the TSB. I'm a hardtop guy and I feel this thread is invaluable to for me since I will have to do this eventually since I have the bubbling problem.
Not trying to toot my own horn but I agree. That sticky doesn't have much info except what happens. No pictures, technical info, etc. People love pictures and write ups. Problem with most online forums is people talk not from experience but from what other people say. I am in no way knocking anyone, but doing this for a living it's one thing to type about it on a computer and another thing to actually put the work into doing it.

Last edited by Grifter; 10-28-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, we needed to make slight adjustments to the roof, including giving it some nice smacks on the top, to help it settle. It moved pretty easily though and the urethane takes a few hours to begin to harden.

We didn't clamp anything but it is very important to note that we lowered the front of the headliner and wedged little rubber pieces in between the roof frame and roof panel to push the front edge up and make it flush with the windshield molding. If we didn't do that there would of been a decent sized gap between te panel and molding. We also put wedges at the right and left front corners.
Just more proof of a concept that many forget (including me ) - TEST FIT FIRST
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about the top, however I can tell you a few unique things about 1998 fbodies compared to 99 or newer which pertain to using old pieces from 93-97 fbodies

-only year trans am door panels did not develop cracks on
-only year with jack braces under front fenders
- my 98 firebirds trans ams had heat covers on the underside of the hood, my 99's and newer didn't

I believe gm switched suppliers for plastics and fiberglass however I do not know. They could have just been going with a cheaper blend in 1999
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not all 98s had jack braces. My 98 had the bent fender tab to prove it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
- my 98 firebirds trans ams had heat covers on the underside of the hood, my 99's and newer didn't
My '98 and also '99 Z28s had this. I've never seen an '00+ model with it though.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not all 98s had jack braces. My 98 had the bent fender tab to prove it.
I think you had a June built '98, correct? This seems to be another one of those things that was hit or miss on the last 2-3 months of '98 production.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Not trying to toot my own horn but I agree. That sticky doesn't have much info except what happens. No pictures, technical info, etc. People love pictures and write ups. Problem with most online forums is people talk not from experience but from what other people say. I am in no way knocking anyone, but doing this for a living it's one thing to type about it on a computer and another thing to actually put the work into doing it.
I won't create a second sticky, but I do agree that this thread has some good information as well as pictures/write-up regarding the hard top replacement - something not seen nearly as often as the t-top examples.

What makes sense to me is to add a link to this thread in the first post of the current sticky. I think this is a better option than merging these two threads; since the sticky is so big already, doing a merge would just cause this thread to get lost in the crowd.

So I will add a link.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I won't create a second sticky, but I do agree that this thread has some good information as well as pictures/write-up regarding the hard top replacement - something not seen nearly as often as the t-top examples.

What makes sense to me is to add a link to this thread in the first post of the current sticky. I think this is a better option than merging these two threads; since the sticky is so big already, doing a merge would just cause this thread to get lost in the crowd.

So I will add a link.
Very cool, thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The pics are great. Right now my bird's topless in the garage waiting on my new panel to show up.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

My '98 and also '99 Z28s had this. I've never seen an '00+ model with it though.

I think you had a June built '98, correct? This seems to be another one of those things that was hit or miss on the last 2-3 months of '98 production.
Yup. 98 was the crack year and they did whatever they felt like

Quick Reply: Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*