Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

blue green chameleon respray advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blue green chameleon respray advice

I have a 2k t/a with the blue-green chameleon factory paint. I went to get an estimate on a re-spray since the paints age is starting to show. I was informed by the shop I visited that due to the type of paint a respray would be very expensive, almost as much as changing the car to a different color. (something to do with the green used is the same paint they use to paint money with).

With all that said would it be worth it for me to just go ahead and have the car painted a completely different color since I don't realy care much for the BGC paint anyway? Or perhaps paint the outside maybe a killer shade of blue, something that would make it so I can avoid worrying about painting the door jambs.

Hoping someone with some experience in the business can throw me out some decent advice on cutting costs and just to verify the info I am receiving isn't complete bs.

My dream color for the car is either SOM or hugger orange but that just comes back to how much I want to spend on paint for a 2k TA.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even if you get a color that is really close, you'll still notice the door jambs to body color difference which will look like crap in my opinion.

If you like the color then respray it the same color.

Doing a complete repaint is a lot of time, to do it right, you'll have to pull the mortor, do all the jambs, tail panel, doors, underside of hood. Plus the undercarriage of your car will have to be sprayed the other color unless you want a som car and a blue/green undercarriage.

Also it won't be seen but your interior would be blue green as well. Another thing, if you do go through with a complete color change, honestly is go with a color that doesn't come on fbodys. Like a viper gray or a sweet sti blue (just person preference)

Just my opinion
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My shop charged regular price for blue green chameleon. It is a paint blend they should
not charge you more. If it was a true chameleon color they would be right but it is a paint blend not a clear coat additive.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that the only color that used the same dye that they use with US money, is Mystichrome for the 03-04 Cobras(And I think the earlier sn-95 cobras although I know there's more of the root beer brown in those ones, but I've only heard the dye thing mentioned about the New Edge 03/04 models)

I always thought Mystic Teal was similar, but less dramatic through the changes in color because it didn't have that in the paint like Mystichrome does.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies looks like I need to find a shop who knows what they are talking about

Quick Reply: blue green chameleon respray advice