Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trimming Bump Stops???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trimming Bump Stops???

My new 17x11 ZR1 wheels with 315 nittos are hitting the bump stops. I thought I'd be fine, but when coming to a stop, the rear raises up enough to hit it.

I saw a few threads talking about completely removing the bump stops, but that doesn't interest me: This is a weekend cruiser for me and my wife (and occasionally some friends in the back), so the comfort the bump stops add is necessary. I saw a few home-made bump stops mounted to the axle, but I'd rather try simple solutions first:

Is it possible to just trim back the factory bump stops without sacrificing the integrity of them? If so, how? And how much can you remove??

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll want to trim /cut-off roughly the from the middle of the bump stop on back since the rear of the bump & mount stick out further.
Use a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel. FYI, I wouldn't cut inward any further than 1/4" from the bolt threads, and try to avoid the temptation to cut a large amount off in one cut, I. It's better to cut/grind a little at a time since you can't put back what you cut off.
Like the area marked in red in the photo:

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-02-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

But removing that downwards bent in the front isn't a big deal? And can you hack up the factory bump stop as well? Or will it crumble if you cut into it?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When viewed from above you'll see that the rear half bump stop and its mount present most of the clearance issue. The bump stops won't crumble if they're in useable condition. If they crumble they're dry rotted and need to be replaced.
BTW, do more grinding than cutting and you'll be able to minimize the amount of material you need to remove to get your clearance.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Default Trimming bump stops

Fwiw I cut the bump stops out of my car to fit some zr1 replicas a couple of years ago and bfhd and regret ever doing it it's an irreversible or extremely hard to reverse modification and if I had it to do all over again I'd just wait and get a better fitting set of wheels.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I'd be afraid of, which is why I'm trying to retain the factory stops, while taking a little material off.

Quick Reply: Trimming Bump Stops???