Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Where to Buy New Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Buy New Bumper

I need help, where can I buy an GM NEW rear bumper for my 1999 firebird Formula??? I don't want remanufactured junk, thats been patched up. I bought one like that from rock auto, and it keeps spider cracking on the top where there was filler underneath. The body shop re-painted it twice and it still is doing it in the same spot. The rest of the bumper is fine. Old urethane bumper are prone to cracking and stretching, I don't want to take the risk of that happening again. It's driving me nuts
Old 01-11-2015, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like there using the wrong primer coat or the wrong kind of filler used on the bumper.

you won't find new OEM parts, your best bet is to find a undamaged used one on here in the parts section.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought my bumper from onlinepartsbin painted and delivered through fedex!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

My rear bumper was reconditioned, the body shop sanded down it down, and found filler along the top part of the bumper. They thought most likely the urethane itself was stretched, or damaged. The rest of the bumper hasn't spider cracked. If I flex or push around the cracks it doesn't spread, so I think it's just the urethane/filler thats garbage. The rest of the bumper hasn't done it, so I have I don't think it's a paint issue. The shop I want to used PPG products with flex additive and clear coat. I ordered a new bumper, from gm-car-parts. I will sell my old one if anyone is interested. It has a few spider cracks around where the rear quarter meets the bumper and on the drivers side, not noticeable unless a foot away in daylight. It would look good for a daily driver that does't want a "perfect" bumper. I attached some close up photo's of the bumper. I took these photos with a bright flashlight so the cracks pop out more. I got taking the bumper down to a science, takes less then 30 minutes now
Attached Thumbnails Where to Buy New Bumper-img_0756.jpg   Where to Buy New Bumper-img_0757.jpg   Where to Buy New Bumper-img_0758.jpg   Where to Buy New Bumper-img_0760.jpg   Where to Buy New Bumper-img_0759.jpg  

Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try GMSurplus.com its all gm parts that's sitting all around.

Quick Reply: Where to Buy New Bumper