Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help Eastwood Mig 175

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Eastwood Mig 175

Okay guy has anyone used the Eastwood Mig 175? I'm having troubles with it burning through metal on all settings. But I am only using flux core at the moment. If anyone is using this welder do you guys know a good setting for the power with quarter panel welding?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

the difference between MIG+Flux is ridiculous, get the gas and try again, and settings aren't gonna be the same for everybody. I have the little eastwood 135 and im an autobody tech, and i turn the wire speed all the way up because i move it faster. make sure you test test and test again before you weld that quarter on.

But more importantly, make sure that quarter is lined up PERFECTLY before welding.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know it will be different for everyone just kinda wanted a rough guess to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. But I believe you're right on the gas just haven't had time to run and get a tank and gas. Not welding on a quarter just filling holes where factory spoiler was.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Know nothing of the eastwood or using flux core wire. Thin automotive metal may not accept much more than a spot weld at a time in the same spot. Some guys claim to weld good on auto sheetmetal with flux wire, but it takes practice.
Are you trying to fill holes in the actual vehicle without an previous practice with similar metal & welder?? Not good, get a free scrap fender from a body shop or somewhere to practice on.

Personally if miging & not tigging on steel sheet metal, I prefer the smaller .023 wire & a 75/25 gas mix. Not saying you cannot get by with flux core wire, but don't sue the real job as practice. If you could possibly back the holes with copper or aluminum, which won't stick & help hold in the shielding gases, this may help also.

EDIT::: did read somewhere than flux core does run hotter.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 03-20-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck trying to weld thin panels with fluxcore. That wire is usually .035, which is too thick to weld thin panels. I would suggest getting the gas, use a .024 wire aswell. Will make it easier on the thin metal. I use .030 wire with mine, but it can be a bit tricky at times, .024 is MUCH easier.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

definitely trash the fluxcore... get some 75/25 mix argon/co2 and some .023 copper wire to go with. also you will need new tips for the gun. they will probably say .025 on them. and PRACTICE. don't be impatient like me haha

Quick Reply: Help Eastwood Mig 175