Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Newer front end converstion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer front end converstion?

I've been looking at this 95 trans am ws6 within my price range and i really like it except 1 thing... I don't like the headlights of that generation. I like the headlights of the 98-02 trans ams and hood. Is there a easy way to convert the front end or am i better off just getting a newer one?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

well your looking about 500+ dollars in parts (depending on the hood, a WS6 hood will be about 700 on it's own) you need fenders, hood, bumper (and all of its lights) and probably some behind the scenes brackets and stuff, it can be done but you damn near need a parts car to get everything off of, then there is the issue of paint color, if the donor parts are a different color (which is likely to be) then you would have to repaint HALF the car, by the time you blend into the doors, so it really depends on the price difference between early and late model 4th gens in your area.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Markk16
I've been looking at this 95 trans am ws6 within my price range and i really like it except 1 thing... I don't like the headlights of that generation. I like the headlights of the 98-02 trans ams and hood. Is there a easy way to convert the front end or am i better off just getting a newer one?
I'll be honest, as a previous lt1 owner. Just save a few more dollars and buy a 98+. If you are looking to get more go fast parts down the line you are going to be very disappointed in the future. There is a small market for ltx. Like the above stated it is possible to do, but it is going to be costly to do if you cannot do the work yourself you would easily be looking at 1500 dollars to do the conversion.

I'm not trying to sound like a downer, if that price doesn't scare you away then go for it. I think that the LT1 WS6 looks awesome though. If I had that hood I would have kept mine. But I get it, opinions.

Name:  mytransam1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're just looking right now, Take Bandit's advice & wait for the newer car. No question there. 99' plus year, 98 not as good of an ls.

BUT, if you're super resourceful, skilled, & have time , unimagined front end swaps are possible.

My dec 2009 Name:  DSC_0081_zpsf50512e8.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  157.2 KBswap

My next big adventure

Name:  20151009_201355_zpsfx4y25vj.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  150.7 KB
Old 12-12-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I swapped my front end from ls1 style to Lt1 style Camaro. I had good junk yards close by so I was able to take parts off that I needed and learn how to remove replace. It took approximately 55 hours to change everything. I also added the front ground effect piece. Then I wanted the front painted to match. I also installed knew roof sail panel that needed to be painted so the paint guy said I was better off painting the entire car which I did. I had to swap because I have ls1 engine. I didn't want lt1 engine. You should go with a 1998 and up car this way you will have better engine and nose you like. And not have to paint.

Quick Reply: Newer front end converstion?