Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What primer should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What primer should I buy?

Hi guys I'm new to the forums. I am wanting to paint my 96 single cab and I have bought the brilliant silver from oreilys and Duplicolor BSP300 clear coat they're both lacquers. I really have no experience painting anything this will be my first project and there's so many different primers could anyone give me any insight which I should use and why? Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it is bare metal, you want Epoxy Primer. If it is going over existing paint you want 2K Primer. I use www.southernpolyurethanes.com.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Although in all honesty with the paint you are using you could use cheap laquer primer. It is garbage as a primer, but wont matter much with that low quality paint.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Agreed ^. How long do you want the paint to last? If you want to avoid rust and have a top-notch substrate for an indefinite amount of time (assuming excellent prep work), use an epoxy primer. Preferably Southern Polyurethanes, but any epoxy primer (Kustom Shop included) is better than something you can pick up at an auto parts store.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck with that duplicolor paint, it isn't so cheap when you factor in the coverage sucks. I agree, use the SPI primers. They also make an excellent clear. A top quality base without the high price, look into Pro-Spray.

Quick Reply: What primer should I buy?