Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much can you pull the fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default How much can you pull the fenders?

I've been to a few body shops, even some specializing in race/rally cars more so than just your run of the mill shops. All of them told me that "pulling" fenders is not really an option if you want to have smooth body lines. They went on to say that the most you can do is roll the lip, but any further and you're pretty much going to get a "bacon" wavy look to the fender and that it's impossible to do it while still retaining a smooth surface.

Basically you would have to then do body work with bondo on the freshly pulled fender to smooth out the imperfections and then repaint completely.

Has anyone done more than just rolling a fender with success? I would ideally like to go that route rather than trying to incorporate some premade fender flares.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I would guess it has more to do with the actual process and tools used than the act of pulling the fender itself. Probably a VERY short list of tools that could reshape a metal fender without leaving evidence. Most likely a shop is doing it with a slide hammer, or body hammer's and dollies and all done by hand. Those tools work in a very small surface area by hand which is likely why the bacon wave exists after reshaping the metal, plus marring up the paint even with a rubber mallet.

The alternative to the above would be a planishing hammer, but I dont know that you could get the end result you are wanting. I know it couldnt be used without destroying the paint though and would likely still leave some evidence that would need to be smoothed ultimately.

Not saying its not doable without extensions but probably not likely to find a means of massaging the OE fenders without having to repaint afterwards.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Not saying its not doable without extensions but probably not likely to find a means of massaging the OE fenders without having to repaint afterwards.
I'm not apposed to have to repaint after, I'm most likely going to do some wrap or plasti dip (it's for a race car so not really concerned with paint perfection).

I just don't want to get into heavy bondo body work to reshape and fix the body that was marred by the pull. If I'm going to invest all that work and effort at that point I might as well just bite the bullet and do some custom body work to incorporate the flares.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

guess it depends on how much width you are wanting to add as well.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

If I can gain an inch that would be great.

Quick Reply: How much can you pull the fenders?