Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Painting Doors

I have 2 doors off car with the windows down.

My painter wants me to put them up so he can tape them off, then put them back down.

Do I need to do this? I could just tape off the inside panel just as easy vs the windows themselves. I don't care about the inside panel as it is covered eventually with the handle etc.

However, I do now realize I must put up the window to remove the handles.

Same question, can the handles and keyhole just be taped off vs removing?

Final question, can I leave the window slide in place, the long black piece at the top of the door? Seems difficult to remove.

Any advice is appreciated.

With existing cars on the door, moving doors that are off the car close enough to the power supply for the window motor seems like a pain...

FWIW, the car is red. Doors that are off the car are red and yellow (passenger and driver). Painting the donor doors red.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ended up rolling the windows up, taping them off completely, rolling back down. While the window was up we removed the door handle and lock; 2 minutes to do so, just be careful with the plastic piece that attaches to the rod, can be brittle. Removed all other guides. To accommodate the window motor plug, we cut the existing and extended it 4 feet so we could lay the doors on the ground and attach the plug.

Quick Reply: Painting Doors