Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Was in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Was in an accident

How I wish I could change the events that happened this morning. First I wasnt going to drive my car to work and ride in with my boyfriend He starts work early at FedEx and he'll pick me up then I drop him off at 4:45am, I go back home, go to bed then get up and go to work at 8am. Well this morning I felt too drowsy from the medicine I took for pain for a tooth I'm having pulled so I texted him at 3:30am saying I would drive my car. I was only about 1/4 mile from work in the right hand turn lane with a pick-up in front of me. The light was red for our side and there was a car turning left from the side that had the green. The pick-up stopped and I stopped. I looked left and didnt see anything else coming, looked forward and the pick-up started to go so I started to go and then he stopped all the sudden and I hit the brakes and the car slid about 5ft right into the back of him . BAM..... I knew it was bad .

I got out and saw absolutely no damage on his truck of course because he had a metal bumper but my bumper however is totally screwed. On the passenger side in between the license plate and fog/parking lights it's broken and pushed in..you can see the foam slightly and all the paint flaked off in huge pieces all over the bumper. It looks horrible . I dont know if there is any other damage underneath or not to the supports. I got under there and looked and I dont see any damage to the radiator or anything else.

The guy was ok about everything but it was odd that he asked me why I didnt have a front plate on the car since here in VA you need one. I told him that the car used to be only a weekend/show car and the front plate is ugly.

Ironically I had plans to buy a T/A bumper since the front gfx on mine is broken. I also happen to just close a deal on one two days ago and now just about the send the payment off to someone. I don't know how much it will cost to have it painted ....just put a call into the paint shop but I dont have the money for it right now .

If I'd only not driven my car today . I'll have pics later on of the carnage

BTW does anyone know what all I need to do the swap? Not sure what all I will need besides the lights.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks had that happen to me before luckly it wasnt to bad
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks michelle, let me know if you need anything ill do my best to help. i can come by and take a look at it if you need me too. are you going to go through insurance or do it yourself?

more than likely the styrofoam took the brunt of the damage i doubt the reinforcement was touched. especially at that low speed. so anything internal is probably next to nothing on damage. however i could be wrong. taking the bumper off will take about 20 mins to acess (sp?) the damage.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Chris I have to pay for this myself first because I only have liability...secondly even if I had anything else it would be under collision which would be $500 deductible. I dont know that anything needs to be looked at on it. I dont plan on driving it till I can save up and get the new bumper painted. It just looks so bad .

Do you know what else I need to install the T/A bumper and do you have any of the parts left from yours??
Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wish i had my styrofoam still but i think i trashed it if not its at my shop in newport news, ill call down today and have josh look for it. my front impact bar i chopped up so that all that is left from it is the fog light mounts. ill do some asking if anyone has some fog lights, i think i know someone who has the turn signals they might sell.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

my friend has both turn signals he will sell you brand spanking new for $30 bux, $15 bux a piece. i can have them for you beginning of next week. and josh is looking to see if i still have the foam.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Chris. I'll take them. I'm also going to email you in a few about the other stuff

Here's two pics of the car. I know no one will think it looks bad

Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah im positive everything should be fine under the cover. possibly even the styrofoam. but it is still different between formula and T/a. not sure about the impact bar though.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not too terrible. The most important thing is that you're ok. Anyways, now you have an excuse to do the T/A bumper swap, good luck. BTW, do you have more pics of your car? That paint looks pretty awesome.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah its not terrible but its upsetting to me . Thanks for the compliments on the car and yes I have more pics...click on the Fquick logo and it will take you to my homepage there and then check out the gallery for that car .

I just called a paint shop a guy I met at BK last week told me about in Springfield. They did some awesome custom airbrushing on his Mustang. They gave me a rough price of $300 but I have to take the car over there on Monday for them to look at it. Not bad price though..thought it would be more.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Man that sucks! just photoshop it! just kidding!!! 300!?!?! wtf thats cheap I got a huge dent in my quarter panel the other day by some stupid *** asian chick and i got quoted over 900!!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the reason the price is reasonable is the T/A bumper is new and primed..ready to paint.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good lord that sucks...... know I learned a lesson when I wrecked mine and I didn't really do anything wrong! Same with you, it's not like anyone or anything was in serious danger or something but I'll bet that won't happen again right? RIGHT? haha good luck I hope it all works out!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Believe it or not the guy I hit claims my plastic bumper dented his metal bumper. Crazy because I didnt see any damage and I looked very closely at it. The imsurance rep told me she found it hard to believe what he's claiming. I sent her pics of my car also.

BTW it looks like for the bumper swap I only need the turn signals. It appears the foam and metal support bar are the same in the firebird and all we'll have to do is drill holes to mount the foglight brackets.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Doesn't look bad at all, but I would be pissed too if that happened to my baby
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Thanks. Believe it or not the guy I hit claims my plastic bumper dented his metal bumper. Crazy because I didnt see any damage and I looked very closely at it. The imsurance rep told me she found it hard to believe what he's claiming. I sent her pics of my car also.

BTW it looks like for the bumper swap I only need the turn signals. It appears the foam and metal support bar are the same in the firebird and all we'll have to do is drill holes to mount the foglight brackets.
he got home and told his friends and they told him he could get money out of it

Quick Reply: Was in an accident