Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cleanly filling paint cracks

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleanly filling paint cracks

Whoever the previous owner had paint the SS hood really failed at the task. The clear is already shot and the paint has cracked around the hood scoop.

Well, I'd like to try to fill the cracks in as cleanly as possible.

I have a little container of touch-up paint. My idea is to try to work the paint into the crack as best I can, let it dry, and do a quick buff with my orbital. In my head, this should just remove the top section of the paint and not remove what has entered and dried in the cracks.

Possible?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Is it bubling like from improper prep in the groves? Or is it just a crack all the way around? Your car is black right. You can get away with it if your paint is not metallic like black i would paint inside the crack making sure i just fill the crack to get some color in it then fill it with clear over the existing paint then block sand and buff. you can do this with a small brush. Although thats just half assing it, but it will look better than a crack.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that's a little more work than I'd like to do with it on my own. I don't have enough skill to do that. It's not bubbling anywhere but there are a bunch of cracks.

I'll post a picture of it later today if I remember.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

unless their are groove from the cracks seperating its not gonna work. If their are get some black single stage paint and activator an fill them in. Let it dry and wetsand it down flush and buff it out. If they are just like hairline cracks all the brush touching will do is sit on top of the paint, from a far it will look fine but up close it will look like ****.

Quick Reply: Cleanly filling paint cracks