Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Newb Bodywork Qs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb Bodywork Qs

So my 93 Z28 is in need of some bodywork and paint.

My main question is for all the abs or composite type parts such as the nose, fenders, doors, hatch etc... What would the correct take down be as far as grits...The car has a paintjob now, but needs to be taken down, and specifically how far do I take down arears of spidering and extreme fading?
And what to use to repair the door?...

I just dont want to do any damage to the non metal parts, as I assume they are more fragile than the metal. Below are some examples of my starting point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Save up $3,000 and take it to a good body shop!!! Then put some 20inch shoes on that bitch.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok lets act like the 20in shoes thing is a joke. but as the fading goes that looks like factory paint and you dont need to take it down any farther than the factory base or primer. as far as the spider webbing goes just sand it down with 80 grit on a da sander untill you cant see them anymore then just regular polyester filler is fine for the plastic parts. alota people will tell you to use the fancy stuff but i've been doin this bodywork stuff for the last 7 years and never had a problem with it. if it does flex alot i just use a regular filler such as body or rage gold extreme
Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z2fast8
ok lets act like the 20in shoes thing is a joke. but as the fading goes that looks like factory paint and you dont need to take it down any farther than the factory base or primer. as far as the spider webbing goes just sand it down with 80 grit on a da sander untill you cant see them anymore then just regular polyester filler is fine for the plastic parts. alota people will tell you to use the fancy stuff but i've been doin this bodywork stuff for the last 7 years and never had a problem with it. if it does flex alot i just use a regular filler such as body or rage gold extreme

Yea Im pretty certain that its all factory paint....so I assume thats a good thing that I can just blast down to factory base...

Have an experience with plastic weld type stuff? My front bumper right at the marker lens on each side has a small crack (maybe 1.5") that angles down at about a 45* to the front tire (I think it got bottomed out and thats where the nose took the stress. The crack is not spread...I just dont know if I should just drill a hole at the end of the crack and fill it or what. I will try to post a pic later. Bodywork will start in my garage end of summer/over the winter.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wootang99gt
Save up $3,000 and take it to a good body shop!!! Then put some 20inch shoes on that bitch.
You still live in a dream world... My car can not have quality body work done, and quality paint all for $3000... I'd rather take the time to do all the work myself and have that to spend all on paint.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me how to do a structural repair on the doors?
Would you use fiberglass and then smooth out with bondo or is there more to it?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

theres more to it, and to the op, impossible to sit here and give you 20yrs of my experience and try to teach you online will never happen, no tech can teach online,

and 3k is cheap!!, you have to remember material is expensive no matter if its black or a mettalic color, plus labor, do you think we work for free?? hell no!!! where i work we start at 3k for completes and it only goes up, its labor, paint labor, material costs, plus tax, shhiiitttttttttttttttt you want it done correctly and for it to last then ya pay for the quality bottom line

and not to mention your asking about doing body work, on fiberglass, so i think its safe to say let us journeyman do a nice job for ya

Quick Reply: Newb Bodywork Qs