Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Front bumper plastic repair and modification questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Front bumper plastic repair and modification questions...

For those who have done custom work to the front or rear bumpers on these cars.....

What did you use to bond the plastic together and fill seams/holes? How did you prep the parts? Please post links to products if you have them and post pictures too.

I'm coming up with some ideas for the front bumper on my camaro for the intercooler so that I can keep the front plate and still get enough airflow to it. I want the bumper to look almost like factory...I have a good idea of what I want to do but I need more info on the process of cutting, bonding, filling....etc.

All info is appreciated.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first thing about plastic repair/custom work is to identify the type of plastic you are going to work with look for the "iso code" inside the bumper, if you see TPO/TPE/TEO/PP those plastic are thrmo plastics/offlien type, which needs a adheshion promoter for a repair material to stick to it
if the bumper is yellow in color then its polyurathene and no need for adheshion promoter , i would plastic weld the seam shut, or just in general use the plastic welder and a heat gun, i say that becasue polyurathene has a memory and when heated beyond the memory it can be shaped to what you want
the TPO/TPE,TEO,PP plastics do not but can be shaped with heat
or you can use repair material and a adhesive backing, just keep in mind what i posted above, about adheshion promoter, but the plastic has to be lightly grinded before anything can go on plastic, if ya want more info just ask away

Quick Reply: Front bumper plastic repair and modification questions...