Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

1997 TA Comp Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 TA Comp Paint job

So I picked up a 1997 TA Comp, Title is clean but Car Fax says she has a salvage title. At any rate she is ready for a new paint job, lots of pant chips and some spider webbing. The thing is, if I paint it anything but what it came from the factory like people say it will lose its value. Even the guys at the body shop told me that. So my question is. If I kept the car silver, but it was a different color of silver would that bother the price any? And what would be a good looking silver to paint her? Thank you
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to present it as a Comp T/A, you need the tires and the correct paint. But then again, I didnt think they are that valuable.

As for the car fax, that title has been washed. Certain states will issue a new title for salvage/rebuilt, the buyer waits a bit and then brings it to it's home state and it comes back with neither salvage or rebuild.

I'd pull a car fax, they have everything the DMV has and if an insurance co totalled the veh, they took possession of the title and then resold it to either the customer or it went to auction and the title got washed.

If your looking for an investment, id walk away. If your looking for a nice car for yourself then do it up.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not looking for an investment, I already have stocks. But if I ever want to turn around and sell the car. I would still like it to have a little bit of value. I was thinking about having them add some metallic to the silver color. Does anyone have a picture of a metallic silver car?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Im not looking for an investment, I already have stocks. But if I ever want to turn around and sell the car. I would still like it to have a little bit of value. I was thinking about having them add some metallic to the silver color. Does anyone have a picture of a metallic silver car?

Basically thats light pewter metallic or have the paint code for the silver, and get some metallic flake added.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said in your other thread you made about the car a while back. Even if you restored it completely, it still wouldn't have any more value than any other salvaged T/A on the road. Best thing to do is just do what you want to do to it. If you want it a different color, then paint it a different color. It won't lose any value since it's already salvaged. Have fun with it, maybe even do a reverse color scheme, paint it black and replace it's current black decals with silver ones that look the same. Just an idea...

As for a silver metallic car.. it's already technically silver metallic. You can always have a painter throw in to more metallic flake to give it that pop though.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Like I said in your other thread you made about the car a while back. Even if you restored it completely, it still wouldn't have any more value than any other salvaged T/A on the road. Best thing to do is just do what you want to do to it. If you want it a different color, then paint it a different color. It won't lose any value since it's already salvaged. Have fun with it, maybe even do a reverse color scheme, paint it black and replace it's current black decals with silver ones that look the same. Just an idea...

As for a silver metallic car.. it's already technically silver metallic. You can always have a painter throw in to more metallic flake to give it that pop though.

Thanks, yeah I do not want anything to extreme. I just want it to pop more, to stand out more then any other silver car on the road. I do like the silver and that's the color im ganna paint here. But I just do not want it to be a plain jane silver. Thanks guys
Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a metallic silver? Silver is metallic. Without the metallic, it would be gray. Do you mean something with a heavier metallic?