A question for those knowledable about the PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:10 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A question for those knowledable about the PCM

Need some help here...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...threadid=44337

calling all hardcore engineers and electronics guys!
Hey guys-

The owner of the local chevy dealer (that services my Z) called me today and asked me to come in. Turns out hes workin on a new remote control module for our cars and wanted my input.

Heres a basic overview:
The remote will be used for dealership car fleets. Its a universal remote - locks/unlocks the car from just one remote. This is done through an infrared port taht is plugged into the PCM port (like where you plugin the ODBII tuner, PCM scanner, etc).

Basically what they want to do with this, is have it installed in every car, and be able to lock/unlock cars while leaving the keys inside each car. When they lock the car up it disables the fuel system so the car cannot be stolen if broken into.

Here is their dilemma - they cannnot figure out how to disable the fuel system permanently until they renable it from the remote. They can turn it off, but it resets when the car is started. The owner of the dealership is funding this lil project. They are currently scanning all PCM codes to find what one will do what they neeed, thats why the asked fo rmy help- but since im no electronics junky (just a coder) I told them to post here since I know some of you have done some sweet **** with electronics and this car. They will pay for any help they get (no i dont get a finders fee - i turned that down lol). If anyone wants to help on this, let me know, I can put you in contact with the guy in charge of this.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A question for those knowledable about the PCM

I'm not a engineer or hardcore electronics guy, and I didnt stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have an interest in this stuff.

The only thing I can think of is that their device would have to watch the bus to see if the pcm starts up, then shut off the fuel pump. I believe they are correct in that shutting off the pump will only work until the key is put in and then it will reset.

The real problem would be that someone can simply break the window, yank the device off the diagnostic port and drive away.

Eric
Old 09-12-2003, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, if it worked as he describes it, then yanking it off would be useless because the module that connects to the pcm port disables the fuel system until it is instructed to re-enable it. So if you yanked it off, the cars fuel system would still be off. I sort of know of a way to do this but i wont post until I see if its really feasable.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Teching In

EFILive Bi-Directional Controls

EFILive with it's Bi-Directional Control can turn the fuel-pump on or off, don't know if this will help or not.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There is already an external relay connection that interlocks the PCM's ability to use the injectors for the VATS system on our cars. The relay is connected to the BCM module (dark blue wire). The wire has to be landed to ground in order for the PCM to think that the car is not stolen and enable the injectors.

Why not connect your little gizmo to an additionaly relay from the BCM. Have the relay remain open until the lock is disabled.

Good Luck,
Kevin