Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy HPtuners or bring it to a shop? Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy HPtuners or bring it to a shop? Please advise

Well im just getting done with my H/C 00 z28, and i need it tuned, I can bring it to a shop and pay $600 and have it done, and $300-400 every additional time I need it tuned, or I can tune it myself.

Lets begin on my background, I have had 2 turbo cars in the past that I tuned myself. I understand TPS::Fuel::RPM and timing scales. Adjust accordingly to achieve desired a/f ratio via wideband. I would not like to have the car tuned as I don't trust tuners, I've had one blow up my engine spiking it to a 17:1 AF ratio on a turbo car, and lets just say it has soured my experience with 'tuners' I know I could do just as good of a job.

So I am looking into getting HP tuners because
1. I'd kind of rather tune it myself, as i already somewhat know the jist of tuning
2. I plan on turboing the car later and tuning it myself would save me cash in the long run.

ALSO Should i go with hptuners pro or just the basic version, and why is the pro better than the basic? Is it worth the extra $150? Thanks everyone
Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Launching!

well i did a bit of reading and the datalogging of the pro is nice. would make it much easier to tune
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have made my ur mind. Not a bad way to go. Just make sure you know what u r doing with A/f and timing.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Thanks man, also a recent buddy said these cars run on MAP and MAF sensor, and in order to tune I have to atfirst turn off the MAF sensor and tune via MAP, then turn the MAF back on and tweak and tune things till everything 'lines up'

Also has anyone used roadrunner? The one on the moates.net site?