PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any tuning issue snap a starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have any tuning issue snap a starter?

specs in sig, motor has been installed for 6 months and driving. The only difference I see has been that it got colder out. I went to move the car and I got a half crank and a grind. Turns out the starter tab broke, well the starter was 10 years old and was off the original 5.7, the 416 is larger so I thought nothing of it, installed a new starter and the car started right up, no hard crank no kick back. One week later same issue, a half crank and then grinding. I am ordering a starter for an LS2 as I see that it has two long bolts instead of the long / short on the LS1......BUT I would rather break 10 starters than break a block...so I am asking if it can be tune related before I bolt in the heavier starter.
Thank you
Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

unless the tune is so far out of whack that its firing too early and causing more stress on the starter...you know how older out of tune cars start sometimes, pausing halfway in each rotation? you would have some other major issues though if that was the case...

my guess is you need to check for proper clearance between the starter and flywheel. The spec should be in any repair manual...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next time it sit's pull the plugs out right before starting.See if anything shoots out of the holes while cranking.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

We thought there might be a leaking injector as the problem never happened until the car started to sit. the first thing we did when the old one snapped was to turn the crank and make sure it was free, it turned and the new starter worked fine, half a crank and it fired up.....until it sat again. I also ordered a starter for a truck 6.0 it does not have the small tab that snapped on mine, it has two bolts the same length, I am just a little nervous about snapping the block if there is a problem.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

YEAH!!!!!! I have a metric **** ton of coolant leaking from number 7 ....Whoooo Hoooooo.....Guess I know what happened to Mr. starter. After a lovely turkey day with the family I guess I will head into the shop and yank some head.... oh well had to pull the SC to ship in to fix oil leak anyway...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I hope you don't find #7 piston a 1/4" in the hole!!