PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's easier to learn for the tuning illiterate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's easier to learn for the tuning illiterate?

I'm going to have a single turbo setup built for my GTO and I want to learn how to tune it myself in SD.

For those of you that have experience with multiple types of tuning solutions, which would be easier for a tuning noob to learn? I've got some college physics, heat transfer and fluid flow.

I don't want this to turn into a brand x is better than brand y debate.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much for muchness really. The principles behind tuning are common among all the tuning solutions. You can at least download the Demo of EFI LIVE and have a play around to get your feet wet.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I've used ls1edit and hptuners. Hptuners is very easy as far as the gui goes. Can't see it getting much easier, but I haven't used efilive. Ls1edit just sucks last time I used it(2004 or so).
Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Currently my car is tuned witn hp-tuners. Is it ok to go on top of that with something different?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

not if a proprietary OS extension (like the 2/3bar map sensor for FI) was applied.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with reading the links on thirdgen. They don't apply directly to our ECM's but there is a lot of theory and practical information on tuning. After that, get the demo of EFILive and read their tutorials. Once you understand the basics, download some modified tunes from holden crazy and compare them to the stockers. You'll get a pretty good idea of the changes people make while tuning.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

If you are just starting out I would recomend "cutting your teeth" on a N/A setup first.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc
If you are just starting out I would recomend "cutting your teeth" on a N/A setup first.
x2 don't put any boost to your car at first....make sure u know what ur doin before u go puttin boost on it.....
Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Banish has a good book covering tuning principles too. As far as picking a software to tune with, that's very much a personal decision. The stickies in this section are a good place to start your research.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Dan Maslic also has a new tuning book out called Master EFI Tuner. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it is great! It even has specific case studies, including a 2002 camaro with a turbo setup. It walks you through how to prep the car with HPT and the dyno pulls and how to adjust the tables with HPT. Also, Dan has been great with helping me personally, if you have any questions you can call the shop and he is always there to help.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on doing a SD tune N/A on it before going with the turbo. When I get a couple of days off from work(I work 12hr shifts), I'll mess around with the EFI Live demo and hit up one of the local GTO owners that has HPT and check that one out.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently tuned my friends car with HPTuners 3-bar SD custom operating system 76mm turbo and 370ci. It was pretty easy. LTFT's and a bunch of driving to dial in the part throttle. Found another setup similar to his and used their VE for a starting point. Made small changes to the boost cells until it was close. I probably have a total of 2-3 hours tuning it.

I've probably tuned 10+ cars besides his, all N/A or nitrous and always on MAF. SD was pretty easy. I'll be converting my 408 Camaro over to SD once I swap clutches.

The best way to learn is to do it. HPTuners has an info bar when you mouse over every tab that tells you what it does. Read all the tuning docs you can and play with it.