Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drive the car with out front O2's temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I drive the car with out front O2's temporarily

I did my header install tonight ( well most of it ) and I cant get the front O2's to reah with out extensions. I have some on order and hopfully they will be here on monday. The problem is that my car is at the shop where we were working on it. And I have to get it out of the bay by tomorrow. If I drive home with out the front O2's will it permantly throw my PCM outta wack? I know it's goning to run like crap but I dont want to cause any permanate damage.

TIA, justin
Old 10-12-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.
Default Re: Can I drive the car with out front O2's temporarily

It will stay in open loop, and any throttle over something like 40-45kPa will make the pcm add fuel, running somewhere around the 11:1 afr range. Wouldn't be good for the spark plugs, dunno about anything else. FWIW, I drove like this while testing my innovate wideband since I didn't have an extra hole for the sensor to work and back one night, maybe 12-13 miles. I don't think I'd put much driving on it.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:37 AM
TECH Resident

"If I drive home with out the front O2's will it permantly throw my PCM outta wack"
I would have to say no. My car has gone into open loop twice because of a bad plug wire F*&king with the o2 and it still runs like it did before(did not drive far however, 2miles tops). Like said above your plugs will suffer some, but it is possible. I would push your car out of the bay and install the o2 extension in the parking lot if it is that big of a deal, I can't see extensions being that hard, although I did mine on a lift so . I say just wait.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

No the problem is that I dont have the extensions yet. I thought I was going to be able to make the stock wires reach but was not able to do so.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the rear O2 sensors have longer wires. Why not install your old rear sensors in the front. Then, the wire may be long enough.

There is no difference between the front and rear O2 sensors except wire length.

I would not drive the car with the front O2 sensors unpluged. Not a good idea at all.