PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This car is driving me nuts! Help..Pig rich 3 bar!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default This car is driving me nuts! Help..Pig rich 3 bar!!!

Ok been fighting to get my 99 running decent since installed the 3bar tune day or so ago.

What it is doing now is being pig rich on wideband,at idle when you rev it a bit off idle. Don't want to drive it and don't want to run it long being so rich.

Its basically fllooding now when try to start it.. It does start but you have to hold foot to floor to clear it.

I have tried a few things and will guess try a few more.I have just put in a different 3 bar sensor this one is from fast to make sure it wasn't a dud 3 bar sensor.I see the map values change at idle so assume its working.I have of course failed the maf and unplugged it. I don't think have any vacuum leaks get like 20inches steady. I thought my new adjustable blow offs might be problem so put non adjustable bosche back on that came with my aps twin kit.
I seem to be running on all cylinders but it seems 3 bar is not compatible with misfire detection which is annoying as misife is very useful. I would go back to maf but at my power levels dont think that is good idea.

I have tps at zero and 100 % and iac counts seem in range and think tps value as well.

So what have I tried. I am running 120 delphi injectors low impedence with harness and aem box. I thought maybe box was messed up but car does start and run. I have checked plug wires and injector plugs and it all seems ok.

I have had injectors first at 58psi and then at 40psi. I think have the ifr pretty close at those psi. the websites don't seem very clear on the specs.
Racetronix site is really unclear with the heptane and gas stuff .
On other site they said they did 111 on gas at 43.I have them at 110 right now at 40psi. Think formula would give 106.44 for 40 if that 111 on gas is right. But if went to 106 it would be even richer than now right?

I just a minute ago for something to try entered min pulse width of 1 and default of 1. Seems no better idle and if you gently rev it show same rich and 10s on the wideband.
I tried to lower ve down to 11 lowest on my ve from like 0 to 1200 rpm and to 50kpa range. I kept taking down the ve and it don't seem to be helping at all. Was I supposed to raise the ve numbers sure higher is richer?

I am not sure what else to try.I guess for experimentation may go to way higher on injector ifr just as test say set them at 130 and see what happens to idle and low rpm afr. I could also lower fuel pressure of course to 30 or 20 line on from current 40psi line on but would think at certain point it would start to not flow well. Or could raise up pressuer and then do same thing.

I don't think should take ve number to zero or near zero?
I have not really touched any other idle or low rpm parameters.
I have my pe from non boost at like 12.3 as heard 10% ethanol that I run make afr go .5 leaner. So then would net 12.8 theoretically if ve and all that was right.
I have my boost pe at like 10.3 again figuring safe 10.8 on boost.Its across the board from 100 up but can't see that affecting idle and low kpa near idle.

Getting really frustrated with this car right now. Its a nice day out and we have crappy weather coming and haven't even been able to drive my car this season.

I am not good at posting files and stuff. I saw help file and will try to figure out how to send it but if someone could still give me some tips here on what to try or what can make the car run so pig rich .

I thought the 120s would be ok espeically in low impedence form. I was going to go to high impedence 80s. I had my car running decent with the maf and 60s last fall. No complaints.Idle etc were all good.

So please give me a few ideas guys.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Why did you go with injectors that big? The APS kit is going to max out well before you would be able to utilize those injectors. I would set the base fuel pressure way low to start, probably around 30 psi or so and make your IFR match. You will really need to play with your injector offset table, minimum/default pulsewidth tables, transient fueling, etc. Making the factory PCM command the very low pulsewidths that your combo is going to require at idle and part throttle is tricky but doable.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have 300 shot direct port on the car. And I am planning upgrade on the center carts from LG this season or next. ideally want 60 to 65 pounds per minute snails on the car. Will run likely 150 shot and less boost with the bigger turbos to get target 1000rwhp and might run some e85 sooner or later. Realize those 120s might even be small for 1000rwhp on e85.

I figured since the 120s were low impedence should be easy to tune. And I have a 408 thought that helped also as well as boost referenced regulator.