PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you test cam sensor signal not running with hptuners????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can you test cam sensor signal not running with hptuners????

If you set pid to cam sensor high low and low high can you test for signal on hptuners with just cranking the car over not actually running?
I have zero for signal to my cam sensor and so far the problem is kicking my *** big time.

I put in new cam sensor when had the code. Pretty sure it was right sensor part number . I still keep getting code po342 . It was sometimes intermittent but latey has been full time with tach dead,hard starting,etc.
I first checked continuity and power from ecu connectors to the jumper on my 99 located near intake. That checked out fine. Then today yanked intake and checked continuity and soon power to the cam sensor female plug.

No problems there on continuity and assume power as well.
Can't seem to find any electrical test for cam sensors . Can you ohm them or something off the car. Can I crank the car over without firing it since much easier to test with intake off the car. If its not cam sensor and since this is second one and first one was working fine in my 99 before 408 swap then guess pull timing cover and check for loose cam bolts and walking cam or pull cam if think the reluctor is fubared or swap out ecus. It don't seem to be wiring problem.

So anyone have any tips on checking that sensor. When ran car yesterday while monitoring the cam sensor on my hptuners scanner saw zero high to low or low to high signals . Not a good thing. Clear code and it instantly comes back. Frustrating as all heck!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

problem solved either couple dud cam sensors or problem with connector getting loose on the pins at sensor.
Took connector apart tightened up and no more problems but also did replace sensor.the third one.no way to test on bench apparently.

But did find out that you can test them with hptuners and just cranking car is sufficiient.No need to run car.This is a huge help so you don't have to keep reinstalling and removing the intake manifold. So heads up to any guys with similar problem that own hptuners.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
problem solved either couple dud cam sensors or problem with connector getting loose on the pins at sensor.
Took connector apart tightened up and no more problems but also did replace sensor.the third one.no way to test on bench apparently.

But did find out that you can test them with hptuners and just cranking car is sufficiient.No need to run car.This is a huge help so you don't have to keep reinstalling and removing the intake manifold. So heads up to any guys with similar problem that own hptuners.
How do you test in hptuners?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
How do you test in hptuners?
Wow this was several years ago. Can't really remember anymore it can be done.

Quick Reply: Can you test cam sensor signal not running with hptuners????