Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock retard during crank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock retard during crank?

Anyone ever log data while they cranked the motor? I recently (as I type this actually, the PCM is flashing in the background) logged my car during crank, and I was quite shocked to see 15 degrees of knock retard No wonder this thing always starts a little sluggish...
Old 11-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Probably there so the starter can turn the motor over easier until it lights off. No reason for the timing advance to be working against the starter on startup.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I just pulled all knock retard, and I get 10 degrees while cranking then the normal 20'ish when it fires up. Before, I'd get 10 while cranking and then LESS when it tried to run -- unless I blipped the gas and let it rev up... Then it'd calm down and I'd get the usual 20'ish degrees of advance... So, it looks like there's another table somewhere for crank advance which we don't have access to...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Did you do anything with the "spark retard limit" table. Maybe that has something to do with cranking timing also??

I've never logged while cranking the motor up. I had that table changed for a while until my trans blew up.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Right now my "Max KR by Load" table is zero'd while I mess with the rest of the tune My knock sensors are overactive anyway, and I had them dimmed down a bit in the noise table but still get retard. I might have to leave them off until I can replace 'em with the newer ones (I still have stock 98s)..

I also gave it some more in the running airflow table, which made the starts nice and crisp. Moving on to idle fueling now, seeing if I can get rid of the stink of a 238/240 cam (yea right)
Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Never logged it (don't have a recorder, need one ), anyway I would think that showing retard would be normal because of the sounds/vibrations being generated while cranking, just a false knock situation. Just a guess anyway.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Grimal I've got a "Low voltage" on my back sensor..would it be wise to just let Jayson "Turn off" that rear sensor...I mean I'm not spraying for the time being and the tune is relatively mild...I dont think i'm getting much benefit from the sensor anyway but an SES light...whatcha think bro?