PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy lean @ idle then shuts off?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crazy lean @ idle then shuts off?????

I'm tyring to figure out the problem before i have to send it to a buddies shop. basically car has been running top notch for a while and last week the crank position sensor went bad, replaced it then everything started fn up...

saturday i noticed the car had a bit of a stumble to it after racing fri. night on the 100 shot... mon. when i started it up, it would run fine for 30secs or so and then u could hear the stumble and the afr would be anywhere from 16-20.1 and then it'd cut off. after popping the hood i heard a loud tic noise and saw where the egr tube had broke off of the header some how and thought that was for sure it, except we welded it up and it still runs like ***. I havnt even taken it up the road cause of the afr after 30secs or so. I went around and tightened the header bolts and all were pretty tight except one but it still didnt help..... Any clues to what the cause could be? I've looked for vaccume leaks where ive had them in the past and nothing.... it doesnt idle high which is why I dont think its a leak so idk...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

also it seems bank one drops alot faster than bank two on the scanner (HPT)... it'll start out around 800mv and before i shut it off its below 100. bank 2 starts to drop a few seconds after bank one though, but doesnt seem to get nearly as low. around 300mv or so......
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

nothing?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 AM
11 Second Club

maybe there was a backfire and it damaged the intake manifold...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your fuel pressure as well could be the pump starting to go out and not giving it enough fuel. Do you have a higher volume fuel pump? And also are you running different injectors, and a dry or wet shot?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

checked the fp it was fine. turned out to be the wire harness that goes around the header on the pasenger side was burned to the header and five wires that were running through there were conducting with each other. this has gotta be a major problem with fbodys, as ive seen plenty of threads where people have a slight miss in the rain, or after a car wash... the miss was definitly a sign of the problem in its early stages but it just got worse till today when it wouldnt even start... pulled the starter and pulled all the wires out and it was a sight to see, plus finally finding the problem was a relief...