Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Problem

Well i having huge charging system problem. I have a 240sx with a ls1 in it, and i have gone thru 3 alternators allready. First one was my fault, i hooked up the alternator exciter wire directly to the battery to get it to charge, which i learned very quicky it will kill the alternator. im using a 99+ PCM with my own seperate wire going from pin 15 red connector to the 3rd pin away from the engine on the alternator. after the last two alternators were installed they charge @ about 14 volts, then it almst seems as after you turn the car off for the first time and restart it the alternator will die and not charge anymore, or after doing a few WOT pulls. i take the alternator out of the car and have it tested and they test bad. i did some diagnoisis and checked the voltage form pin 15 with the key on and it reads about 10v, when battery voltage is 12.5 so it appears correct to me, being that the voltage should be less than battery voltage. FYI i am using duralast autozone alternators, so i dont know if they have a crappy remanufactured alternator or am i doing something wrong?
any info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by MORETHANQUICKSTANG; 06-04-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

try a different brand alternator. Ive never heard a single good thing about autozone or advanced autoparts starters or alternators

Quick Reply: Alternator Problem