Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector Duty Cycle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injector Duty Cycle Questions

I have a 99 Camaro z28 that has Bolton’s. The car is making 378RWHP running 12.6 at 110. I have an all stock fuel system. I see on this site that people are maxing there injectors. My tuner has never mentioned any possible problem with my fuel system and I have seen the dyno pulls and the car has a nice steady AFR. I am going back to the tuner and installing a FAST 78 intake and raising shifts to 6600 from 6400. What would I gain by going to a bigger injector and why do people make such a big deal about them even with 350 RWHP cars?

Last edited by Purestocker; 09-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just need to check the Injector Duty Cycle with a top-level tuning software suite.

During a dyno run it is easy to monitor and calculate the IDC. The general principle is not to exceed 80% duty cycle for an 'extended period'.

Many have successfully used stock injectors up to 425-450 rwhp, while others max out sooner. Just depends on your set-up.

I do not believe there is any advantage to adding bigger injectors without determining if they are needed. The effect on idle and deceleration quality with larger injectors requires some additional tuning skills and time.

With those times you are running and if you are not detecting any fuel-related problems, you are probably fine with the injectors you have.

But, only a dyno/track run with some tuning software will alleviate any concern you have.

Hope that helps.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You will not gain any horsepower by the addition of larger injectors as people think, this is just a safety factor to running your present injectors at max duty cycle. If you are maxed out or they are high mileage injectors you risk the chance of locking up the injectors, if spraying or F.I. this could be a bad thing..