Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tunercat won't read PCM - tried search already

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tunercat won't read PCM - tried search already

I've tried to read the PCM on my 1994 (OBD1) LT1 with two different interface cables and I get two different error messages. First I tried my old serial interface cable thru a Belkin F5U103 USB-serial converter and tunercats returned the error message "security violation". Second time I borrowed a friend's AKM USB interface cable and tried again. This time the progress bar went to about 50% and then it returned an error message saying "tunercat failed to establish communications with the PCM". I am using an older version of tunercat, 2.0 or 2.15, IIRC. I downloaded and installed the latest version but it asked for the license even though it is a trial version, so I had to revert back to the older one that at least starts up. By the way, both interface cables work fine with Freescan. I logged a bunch of data just driving around.

Are there any settings for the cables' COM ports that I need to play around with? Also, is there anyway I can run the latest version of tunercat in trial mode? I suppose there are some files or entries left over by a previous installation many months ago when my cable wouldn't work at all. I tried deleting the CATS folder from C:\Programs Files and also looked through the registry, but couldn't find any entries or folders for CATS, tuner, or Wintunr.

Kind of at an impasse here... any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

Try posting on the Monodax web site
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go to the options in tunercat and see what com port it's set at and make sure the laptop is set the same. I'm guessing your com ports are not matching up. Send me a pm if you need any help.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If it was the wrong com port he wouldn't get anything to happen.

If you had an older registered version you can access the name and serial number in the "help" menu under "about".

Did you get the same message every time? Did you make sure to "disconnect" the freescan software before trying to "connect" the TC?

Quick Reply: tunercat won't read PCM - tried search already