PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that has ED W. Tuning have problems with him returning your PCM back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone that has ED W. Tuning have problems with him returning your PCM back to stock?

I went to the dealership today so my buddy Brian over there could throw the tech 2 on it to see if there was any problems with misfires or any other thing that ed said might be wrong with my car but it all checked out fine. It did need the crank relearn procedure done though, and there was no misfires on any cylinder which is what the atap said. So I am sending my PCM back to ed so he can return it back to stock, and refund me my money for this tune. Anyone have any problems with him when going back to stock? Anyone PCM crap out after getting it returned to them. Ed doesn't want to return my email's or call. So this makes me leary about getting my PCM back without being all F#$ked up. I will have ESP do the tuning this time around.
J
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default PCM Reflash

It's my understanding that a dealership can reflash your pcm back to stock for less than $100. Why even bother to send it back if your aren't getting decent service from EW, in addition to the fact that your car will be out of service and the shipping costs you will incur.

A very well known and reputable sponsor on this site told me that a PCM can't be locked which seems logical. I suspect that what EW is locking instead is his file that get's uploaded to the pcm and not access to the PCM and files that can be flashed to it either from the dealership or another tuner with a licensed copy of LSEdit.

I wouldn't go near or ever purchase tuning services from someone who locks my pcm from being reflashed by anyone other than the tuner. That's rediculous.

What if the tuner dies or goes out of business?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good point, but if my car needs to be at the dealership to get it reflashed back to stock, I won't be able to drive it home. The stock tuning won't be able to handle the extensive mods I have done to my car. I will ask my buddy Brian over at the dealership if he can reflash the PCM without the car being there.

As for shipping charges, that is also a good point but I want my money refunded to me because I didn't pay for a halfa$$ tune, I paid for a tune with the promise if it wasn't right he would get it right by a-tap logs and dynocharts, which I have provided with little feedback from him, the feedback from him was its the car, I couldn't have possibly tuned it that bad. OK
The car is running so rich at idle it makes you stink like fuel when sitting in the car, then leans out massively at part throttle transitioning into WOT, and once at WOT or close to it the tune is ok and looks good on the atap and on the dyno. Timing is pretty high for a FI app and KR is out of hand. It looks like he tuned it for race fuel and not the 91oct we have out here.
J
Old 12-06-2003, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Ed's tuning and you can take it to a dealership and have them reflash the PCM back to stock, it was $72.00. I also have extensive mods and my car didn't want to idle until I did an LS1 Edit tune afterwards. My car was also running pig rich with his tune and Ed suggested that I had mechanical problems. At that time I had a Holley intake manifold on the car and it had a small undetectable vacuum leak which was causing the LTrims to be off and the IAC's to be positive at idle thus it was running rich. IMHO Ed does a good job for a mail in tune when he can't even see the A/F.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

have you ever thought about setting a date with him and bringing the car to him and letting him tune it on the dyno that way he might be able to get the FT's right. instead of going off what all mods you have excatly told him its hard to do a mail order tune. cause not every car is the same even if they have the very same mods and everything else to match.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Elite, I agree with the 3 other tunes he did for my car everything was always dead on and never had any problems with him. I don't know why things are different now, I've done my best to get a hold of him/ get him A tap data so he can see what is going on.

Z284thgen Nope never thought of that because OK is to far from ALB, NM to drive the car there on a poor tune. I don't have a trailer, or access to one, or time to drive up there, hence THE MAIL ORDER TUNE, that is why some folks have to get the MO tune done in the first place. I know MO tunes especially with the mods I have might take more than one or two tries to get right, so I have done my best to A tap my runs with everything he has asked to be logged and sent them to him in at his email address but I have only got half hearted response from him. Search the PCM forum and you will see that I use to give Ed props with all the luck I have had with his tuning. Now that there is a problem with his tune, I am getting the same "its not my tuning, must be your car" spiel from him that other here have gotten. Send me 2700 for a good trailer and I will take the car up there ASAP for a quick dynotune. lol
J
Old 12-08-2003, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

The Dealer Can Reflash It To Stock , But He Must Have A Like Car And Your Vin # .
Old 12-09-2003, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

i will send out that money cod for you to pick up

j/k

are you actually talking to ed or you just talking to john that answers the phone sometimes john is no help at all. even being local for us its hard to get ahold of ed him self with out having to deal with john first its weird that he saying its your car. guess i must know the hole story and no need to get into that long drawn out process on the net. well hoep you can get it fixed and back on the road with some good tunning in it.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Jeremy, call Seth. He'll get you taken care of with that PCM.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Z28, I was just about to run out to the mailbox I was dealing with ed, but now my boys at Cmotorsports are helping out

Cmotorsports, Will do. Funny I posted in your sponsor ad for the hidden promo code(didn't find it) about tuning and how I needed it done to finally get this thing running right.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

...i think others have had similar issues, for example, with ported heads that have imploded...

good luck...
Old 12-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Some dealerships have a stand alone setup so they can program the PCM without being hooked up to the car. It's part of GM's TIS 2000 system they use for bulletins and getting new updated flash programs. I think LS1 edit has a link to a company whereas you can buy this "stand alone" connector harness to flash PCM's with LS1 edit without being hooked up to a car.

John

John Stevenson Automotive
10158 Canoga Ave.
Chatsworth, Ca. 91311
(818) 772-1737