Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another flashing SES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another flashing SES!!!

Ok, first I have to give a short history. Broke a 918 valvespring, got extremely lucky...somehow I did NOT bend the valve. Put in a 915 spring to limp it home. Put spring on and started car, ran smooth, no ticking, no codes from Atap while idling. Drove car very carefully home, not above 2000rpm. Seemed to run fine, no misfires, ran smooth. The SES light started flashing while driving. It would flash 10-12 times (about 1 second intervals) then stop for a few seconds and resume flashing. I have Atap for palm and had it hooked up for the drive home and it said there were no DTC codes!!?? If I stopped at a light and let it idle it would not flash...until I started moving again. Anyone have ANY idea what could be happening?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:24 PM
wrencher

It might have nicked a valve.

Do a leak-down on that cylinder.

A-tap looks a generic OBD info thus prolly no code, there is something under misfire logs.
Don't know if A-tap can read this.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but I think when your SES flashes it means that your catalytic converters fouled.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it flashes it means the car is misfiring, should throw a random/multiple misfire code though unless it has to be like that for a while. did it not throw any code when it was flashing? did u look up codes when it was flashin?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I had the Atap running when it was flashing...no codes. Not even any stored. I have longtubes without cats also.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and this just started when u lost the spring?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SES light will come on from single misfires or random misfires and becase of that it may start flashing which indicates that you might be damaging either the motor or the emision system like the cats the car doesn't know that they are not there so no real harm other than you could have one or more cylinders missing. It only takes one to cause this I know this from personal experience so Wrencher might be right do a leak down check it is fast and could save you alot of time if you know some one with a Tech 2 they could tell you exactly which cylinder/cylinders it is that is missing but you do have a good place to start with that broken valve spring. the new spring may not be seating the valve all the way causing loss of compresion and inturn not firing. Just my thoughts on it although not an expert at solving every ones problems via the internet maybe this will hep you get started in the right direction.