Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a scan tool w/ABS and bi-directional functionality

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for a scan tool w/ABS and bi-directional functionality

So, here's the deal. I currently have AutoTap. It's an old version, serial port connectivity, very buggy software (constantly disconnects, crashes, just tired of it), and a really old laptop to go with it (Celeron w/128MB of RAM yikes!). I'm looking to upgrade to something newer. Handheld or laptop-based, I don't really care though a standalone model is preferred if possible.

Features that I must have:
ABS functionality (Autotap does not read my ABS codes on my '00 Silverado, apparently need special functionality to do ABS diagnostics on most cars).
OBDII compatibility (obvious)
Bi-directional capabilities. One specific capability I am looking for is to be able to bleed the ABS unit - specifically for my 99 C5. I know TechIIs can do this but they cost thousands. Are there any reasonably priced units that can do this functionality?
Live data viewing (sensors and such).
Update capability

I'd like to spend $500 or less. Is this not reasonable? I have been looking at the:

Autoxray 7000: http://www.amazon.com/AutoXray-AX700...0&sr=8-1-fkmr1
Innova 3160: http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3160-Pro...0&sr=8-2-fkmr1

They are reasonably priced and seem to be similarly specced. The 7000 can do OBDI as well, which I don't really care about since I don't own any OBDI vehicles (though it is still a bonus). They both list ABS functionality so that should be fine. They both list "true bidirectional capabilities" and such, but how do I know what that means? I've tried to research as much as possible but can't figure out if they have the specific ABS bleeding functionality that I desire for my vette.

I've looked at the more expensive Genisys based systems (like the OTC 3416 kit: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3416-ABS-R...6754705&sr=1-1). $1200 is way more than I wanted to spend though. They do specifically mention "Over 900 new advanced diagnostic bi-directional functions on Delco, Bosch, and Teves. GM motorhome. Manual and hydraulic control: Gear tension relief. Enable relays and Brake bleeding tests. Voltage and lamp test - Solenoid test. Brake bleeding tests. Solenoid tests." which leads me to believe that they have the ABS solenoid bleeding functionality that I desire.

Am I stuck paying big bucks or will one of the lesser scan tools work? I don't care too much about programming capabilities. I have LS1edit with licenses for my Camaro and my Vette so I'm fairly covered there.

Dope
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into a snapon brick (MT2500). They're pretty cheap now. They've been obsoleted. If you're not worried about keeping up with updates, you can usually find them with some older cartridges for in the 500 dollar range (used, obviously).

I know they have alot of bi-di controls, and ABS scan data. Not positive on the ABS bleeding capability. I use Vetronix primarily for stuff like that. But that stuff is a bit more pricey than what you're lookin to spend.

Good luck to ya.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. They are all over Ebay, but do you know of any place to find info about how all the stuff works? I see all sorts of cartridges, keys, programmable interfaces, etc.. I'm not sure what exactly I would need for my purposes.

Dope
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dope
Interesting. They are all over Ebay, but do you know of any place to find info about how all the stuff works? I see all sorts of cartridges, keys, programmable interfaces, etc.. I'm not sure what exactly I would need for my purposes.

Dope
I'll see if I can't get you some info tomorrow. Cartridge numbers and such.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're a good man. Thanks

Dope
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

A scan tool with ABS bleed capability is going to be a more advanced scan tool. Don't assume it can do this function just because it has bi-directional control. Check it out first.

In your price range, it's going to be a used unit. You can buy a very good used pro tool, the problem is that it will be closer to being discontinued (no more updates).

Quick Reply: Looking for a scan tool w/ABS and bi-directional functionality