Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny tuning questions....for new stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tranny tuning questions....for new stall

Been tuning 6 speed manuals for lots of years but not autos that much.
Now have new 4l80 swap and py 3400 yank. Running big power and yank basically think said shouldn't go into lockup at all with this converter at wot.
So not sure exactly what to set on my hptuners program so don't have to worry. Is it the release table speed should I set that at say 80% throttle or maybe way less like 30%. Should I set like super high speed on the apply tables like 256 so don't go into lockup at all in gears 1,2,3?
Also not sure on the shift points. You can set rpm for them or you can set mph. Or seems you can set both. This seems confusing. Can I zero the mph tables and just use shift point rpm or vice versa. Does one have preference so if say have third set to shift at 6000 but have speed set to 140mph what does the trans do?
Appreciate any more tips or even some sample hptuners files.
I think reason not supposed to lock up the converter at wot is due to my power levels. Will be running likely between 750 and 1200 engine hp on my setup. Guess that might burn out torque converter clutch if lock it up at wot and also yank said its highly efficient anyway and not much to be gained by lockup.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing you need to do is input the 4L80E gear ratios into the PCM, otherwise all other calculations will be off.

Now have new 4l80 swap and py 3400 yank. Running big power and yank basically think said shouldn't go into lockup at all with this converter at wot.
Correct. By default the trans will not lock up at WOT. You would have to command it or install a manual lock up switch.

Should I set like super high speed on the apply tables like 256 so don't go into lockup at all in gears 1,2,3?
Are you referring to WOT or part throttle? IF WOT, see above. For part throttle the default values do not call for TC lockup in 1st or 2nd gear, but does in 3rd and 4th gear. Part throttle 3rd gear lockup with big converters is finicky at best. Oddly enough, my 3rd gear lockup only works with the shifter in D3. You can max out values to completely eliminate 3rd gear lockup if you want. Usually you need to increase the 4th gear lockup speeds, but with a small 3400 converter it should only be a few mph. You really need to drive and datalog to find the optimum shift points for your car and driving habits.

Also not sure on the shift points. You can set rpm for them or you can set mph. Or seems you can set both. This seems confusing. Can I zero the mph tables and just use shift point rpm or vice versa. Does one have preference so if say have third set to shift at 6000 but have speed set to 140mph what does the trans do?
Setting the WOT mph values very low (ex. 5 mph) will force the PCM to shift based on rpm because it looks at the mph value first, then the rpm value. Mine are set low and it shifts exactly where it's supposed to.

I think reason not supposed to lock up the converter at wot is due to my power levels. Will be running likely between 750 and 1200 engine hp on my setup. Guess that might burn out torque converter clutch if lock it up at wot and also yank said its highly efficient anyway and not much to be gained by lockup.
Locking the TC at WOT will usually gain mph, but no ET reduction. It will also murder the converter unless it's designed for that like the Circle D mutl-disc converter.

Last edited by DrkPhx; 11-01-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
The first thing you need to do is input the 4L80E gear ratios into the PCM, otherwise all other calculations will be off.

Where do I set this up..don't see anywhere you can enter gear ratios.I am using hptuners with 4l80 segment added in

Correct. By default the trans will not lock up at WOT. You would have to command it or install a manual lock up switch.
Hmm though it showed apply at different speeds in the one table.isn't apply the lockup>?

Are you referring to WOT or part throttle? IF WOT, see above. For part throttle the default values do not call for TC lockup in 1st or 2nd gear, but does in 3rd and 4th gear. Part throttle 3rd gear lockup with big converters is finicky at best. Oddly enough, my 3rd gear lockup only works with the shifter in D3. You can max out values to completely eliminate 3rd gear lockup if you want. Usually you need to increase the 4th gear lockup speeds, but with a small 3400 converter it should only be a few mph. You really need to drive and datalog to find the optimum shift points for your car and driving habits.

Setting the WOT mph values very low (ex. 5 mph) will force the PCM to shift based on rpm because it looks at the mph value first, then the rpm value. Mine are set low and it shifts exactly where it's supposed to.

ok understand this now

Locking the TC at WOT will usually gain mph, but no ET reduction. It will also murder the converter unless it's designed for that like the Circle D mutl-disc converter.
ok not good for it..but wot can mean 35% ,75% 100% throttle don't i maybe need to adjust so it cant' lock up at even mabye 35% do the big power levels

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The correct gear ratios should be in the 4L80E segment, so you should be good to go. You still should have access to them. In EFILive they're under Transmission Calibration> General>Parameters, but HPT may call them something different.