Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mail order tune need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mail order tune need help

I am building a 1972 Chevelle with a lq4 and a 4l80e. I purchased a custom wiring harness and mailed my computer to the harness maker to turn the vats and a few non essential emission items. Also rear o2s were deleted and speed limiter raised. When i received my harness and computer back it had a note in it saying that it was tuned with the maf off but plug it in and see what runs better. What i was wondering is can a tuner put a descent sd tune on a car over the mail? I cranked the car and it runs and idles smooth with the maf unplugged and runs like poo with it plugged in. I was not really wanting a full tune just wanted the car to crank and run to trouble shoot possible problems. I just did not want to run the car too rich or lean too much. I was planning on getting a dyno tune later on after i completely restored the car. So do you think i will hurt anything by running my car with this kind off tune. any help appreciated
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

I cranked the car and it runs and idles smooth with the maf unplugged and runs like poo with it plugged in.
If that's the case, why not just leave it SD? Also do you have a wideband hooked up?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:02 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I dont care if its sd. No wide band hooked up it doesnt smell like its running rich. Generally on a dyno tune does it cost more to get a sd tune.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
I dont care if its sd. No wide band hooked up it doesnt smell like its running rich. Generally on a dyno tune does it cost more to get a sd tune.
I think a SD tune is easier. You do not have all the MAF part of the tunning.

Good Luck.
Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Front 02 sensors will bring your fueling in line so it should be safe for regular driving while in SD until you get it checked with a wideband 02 sensor for wide open throttle stuff.

The stock computer will fix trims and bring everything back in line if there is a little bit of SD fueling error.

If the MAF makes it run worse, then you have the wrong maf table in the ecm, or your duct work for it is not very good. Both should be an easy fix if you want to run your maf.

But to answer your question on the MAF vs sd.

Maf is calibrated to a set air intake tract and sensor. SD is set to the motor itself.
A MAF system is only accurate if you have the tract and sensor set up for the application you are using it on...