PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a question for EFI Live guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a question for EFI Live guys...

Does EFI live come with the full version of autotap? Or is it a completely different program? I.E. If I wanted autotap also, would I have to purchase both?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Different program.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can i use the autotab and Elive in diffrent cars,i mean more than one vin#?
Old 12-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by fastsspr
Can i use the autotab and Elive in diffrent cars,i mean more than one vin#?
Yes - there is no limit.

Paul
Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stuckatcuse
Does EFI live come with the full version of autotap? Or is it a completely different program? I.E. If I wanted autotap also, would I have to purchase both?
Because they both use the same interface cable - you only need to buy a "full" version (i.e. including interface cable) of one or the other.

If you buy EFIlive you get EFILive and the cable, so if you also want AutoTap you just buy the upgrade to AutoTap.

Or if you buy AutoTap you get AutoTAp and the cable, so if you also want EFILive you just buy the upgrade to EFILive.

Paul
Old 12-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EFIliveV5
Because they both use the same interface cable - you only need to buy a "full" version (i.e. including interface cable) of one or the other.

If you buy EFIlive you get EFILive and the cable, so if you also want AutoTap you just buy the upgrade to AutoTap.

Or if you buy AutoTap you get AutoTAp and the cable, so if you also want EFILive you just buy the upgrade to EFILive.

Paul
What are the benefits of owing both? And are any of these substitutions for LS1 Edit? If not what does that provide thats different???

A am so CONFUSED!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Restricted User

What are the benefits of owing both? And are any of these substitutions for LS1 Edit? If not what does that provide thats different???

A am so CONFUSED!!!
Ok, here goes a quick description/comparison of the three products - anyone feel free to add anything that I miss.

All three products require a PC or laptop - a laptop is essential if you want to log data while mobile. Although AutoTap do sell a Palm version of their software that requires (obviously) a palm pilot rather than a PC/Laptop.

"AutoTap for GM" is a scan tool that can log generic and enhanced parameters for all GM OBD II vehicles. AutoTap also sell a scanner (slightly more expensive) that scans generic and enhanced parameters for ALL OBD II vehicles. As a scan tool it can also display and clear trouble codes and EPA test results - again for all GM OBD II or all OBD II vehicles.

EFILive is a generic scan tool for GM OBD II vehicles only - and as such can log generic parameters for all GM OBD II vehicles. It will also display and clear trouble codes and EPA test results - again for ALL GM OBD II.

EFILive has "extra" features and functions that are specific to the LS1/LS6 PCMs. The extra features include bi-directional controls, about 200 enhanced parameters and direct memory access to the PCM for extracting otherwise non-supported data - such as adaptive spark. EFILive also offers calculated parameters so you can design your own parameters to augment the existing enhanced parameters available in EFILive for the LS1.

The bidirectional controls allow you temporary override control of almost all of the functions normally controlled by the PCM. Once EFILive is disconnected the functions return to factory calibrations.

See here for a list of features of EFILive:
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/featuresv6.html

Neither AutoTap nor EFILive will permanently edit your PCM.

LS1Edit is not a scan tool - it will not log data, as far as I know.
LS1Edit does allow you to download the calibrations from your PCM to your PC, edit them and upload them (reflash) back into your PCM - permanently.

Regards
Paul
Old 12-27-2003, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

so it seems you can log the data on efi live and then in turn use that date to tune using ls1 edit?

I'm a newb too at this.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
so it seems you can log the data on efi live and then in turn use that date to tune using ls1 edit?

I'm a newb too at this.

Yeah I think thats the Idea. That's a lot of money in software!!! $1K... Yikes!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

so do you need both autotap and EFIlive? and if not which one do you recomend.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Unless you need to scan non GM cars, you don't need Autotap. If you do, then Autotap would be the choice over EFIlive in terms of saving money (if you don't know you need both then you probably don't as most people will not).

For GM cars, EFILive is better than Autotap but costs more. The only question is are the added features worth the money to you. To me they were.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I think thats the Idea. That's a lot of money in software!!! $1K... Yikes!
If you want to play with these cars you need the right tools, maybe hold off buying that set of 19's and make it go faster instead....
Old 01-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by miner_49
Unless you need to scan non GM cars, you don't need Autotap. If you do, then Autotap would be the choice over EFIlive in terms of saving money (if you don't know you need both then you probably don't as most people will not).

For GM cars, EFILive is better than Autotap but costs more. The only question is are the added features worth the money to you. To me they were.
Thanks. You answered my question exactly. So you don't need all 3, Efi-live and edit are enough. Thats more reasonable then having all 3. Thanks a ton!

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
If you want to play with these cars you need the right tools, maybe hold off buying that set of 19's and make it go faster instead....
I was just trying to figure out what the right tools were. And since I now know I don't need all 3, I save myself a couple of hundered dollars, i.e. the reason for starting this thread. Give me a chance here, I am new at this.