Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for short vs. long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning for short vs. long tube headers

I've read about how many peoples' cars require a new tune after installing LT headers. Is this because of the extra air flow or because you are relocating the O2 sensors? Are the people with short- or mid-length headers having to retune for them also?

Next question: let's say you have a good tune working for a set of FLP long tubes with cats, but then you swap out the cat section for the open cutouts at the track. Is it going to affect the tune? If the answer is no I would suspect that the majority of tuning problems come from moving the O2 sensors, not the extra airflow. How much can the MAF sensor and O2s correct for when in closed-loop mode?

Forgive me if this question has been beaten to death, I searched and didn't find the answers I was looking for. I'm new to OBD-II and LS1's.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any headers will cause tuning issues, not from only relocating the o2s to where the temps arent the same but also cuase the exhaust gas temps are different and it allows for a better air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. if u take the cats out it will change things as far as i know. it did mine. the old gasses flow out faster allowing the motor to burn more efficient...i think...