Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going SD... questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Going SD... questions...

Well I'm finally going to a SD (speed density) tune this year. I want to run the car in open loop all the time and I only have a wideband O2 installed. I've retrieved my current MAF tune from the car. From what I've read so far, I believe this is what I have to do:

1. Convert my current tune to a 3 bar OS. (I have a 3 bar sensor)
2. Copy the VE from the original tune to the new SD tune.
3. Add some fuel in the boost regions.
4. Flash the file and start tuning.

How do I force OL all the time though? Do I just change some value to something that will never ever happen to force it to stay in OL all the time, or can I just turn it "off"?

Do I also have to fail the MAF manually after switching OS's or is that not necessary?

I'm sure I'll have lots of question as this goes on...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There are few good write-ups on the HP tuner forums on how to get started with this. There is a bit more to it then you listed.

.....I think there is also a good write-up in the HP tuner help file if I remember correctly.

The easiest way to force OL is to change the enabling coolant temperature that allows the car to reach CL to something unobtainable. I believe this is under the fuel tab in HP tuners.

You have to allow the MAF to fail - ie don't turn off the MAF failing tests in the engine diagnostics section.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFILive has an excellent tutorial on converting to a 3 bar custom operating system.