PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Using factory tune from different car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using factory tune from different car

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the factory tune from one car and put it in a different car with the same engine. I was told this is done with a Tech II but it doesn't sound right to me. If so, I want to take the tune from a v6 camaro and put it in my daily driver Malibu. Both have the 3.6L
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM

you would have to change the vin in the files if your using using a aftermarket tuner. what you want to do is not done with a tech 2. any j2534 pass through tech 2 or otc or what ever is just the tool. the flashing process is done over the internet and you have no control over what it flashed. if you want the camaro tune in the malibu for what ever reason you will have to use hptuners or efilive pull both tunes. safest way so you dont have os problems is to copy and paste the tables from one to another. i didnt bother looking up what pcms they have because you didnt give the years so if there different the tables may be different a bit as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't easily do it with a Tech2
Do the both run the same PCM?
IIIRC FWD 3.6 use single bank fueling and the F-body uses dual bank, so you might have some bank to bank fueling issues
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

They would both be 2010 model cars, I don't know off hand if the computers are different or not. I am just trying to squeeze the extra 50 horsepower that the camaro has compared to my beater.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sh0wGoAt
you would have to change the vin in the files if your using using a aftermarket tuner. what you want to do is not done with a tech 2. any j2534 pass through tech 2 or otc or what ever is just the tool. the flashing process is done over the internet and you have no control over what it flashed. if you want the camaro tune in the malibu for what ever reason you will have to use hptuners or efilive pull both tunes. safest way so you dont have os problems is to copy and paste the tables from one to another. i didnt bother looking up what pcms they have because you didnt give the years so if there different the tables may be different a bit as well.
So far no one makes an aftermarket tuner for my car yet. It is a common engine but I guess the market isn't strong enough to create anything.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

After looking some more, I found that they are different. I knew that the new camaro is direct injection "SIDI" but I found out that the base 3.6L is just PFI. Thanks for the info guys.