Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts, then dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts, then dies

im doing an m6 to a4 swap. everything is done. i used the speartech harness adaptor on my m6 harness. i wired the pnp switch and i had the pcm flashed but i didnt use the shift lock solenoid because i was told i didnt need it. when we fired it the first time it idled up to 2k for about 3 seconds, then it shuts completely off. every time after that it will fire once and shut off. im stumped, and pretty pissed off. any ideas
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

ok did some searching, thought it might be the VATS, so i pulled the pcm again and had it turned off. hooked up the pcm, and vuala....same problem. i am stumped, anybody have any ideas
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the Speartech harness and see if it runs... might be a crossed up wire or something. Sounded like VATS, but not... neutral safety wouldn't even let it crank.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

ok so i talked to a guy today who said it most likely is the VATS, and that even if you program it out, sometimes it will still keep the car from cranking so he said i needed to bypass the key with a matching resistor? anybody done it
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a pellet in your key, measure the resistance across it and then get a 1/4 watt resistor with matching resistance or a potentiometer and match the resistance with that. There will be 2 wires coming from the tumbler (i believe they're white and possibly in a orange sleeve). You cut those wires and put your resistance across those 2 wires and you're done. Know that you will be disabling the anti-theft feature when you do this. If you like, you can troubleshoot it by cleaning the key really well, measuring the resistance, then insert the key in the tumbler and see if you can read close to the same resistance across those 2 wires coming from the tumbler. If not, the tumbler may need to be replaced or worked on.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 07-09-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

i did what you said, i read 4.7 ohms, so i picked one up at radioshack and put it in. did the exact same thing. so if that completely disables the VATS, then it has to be something else right?

any other ideas, i really wanna get this car running

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
If you have a pellet in your key, measure the resistance across it and then get a 1/4 watt resistor with matching resistance or a potentiometer and match the resistance with that. There will be 2 wires coming from the tumbler (i believe they're white and possibly in a orange sleeve). You cut those wires and put your resistance across those 2 wires and you're done. Know that you will be disabling the anti-theft feature when you do this. If you like, you can troubleshoot it by cleaning the key really well, measuring the resistance, then insert the key in the tumbler and see if you can read close to the same resistance across those 2 wires coming from the tumbler. If not, the tumbler may need to be replaced or worked on.