Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

break in before tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in before tune?

hey def newb as far as tuning and stuff goes. question is....having my engine rebuilt and dropping in heads/cam, lifters, pushrods, yada, yada,....anyways, what is the break in on a rebuilt engine with heads/cam? ive heard dont drive it till its tuned. but can they tune it really before its broken in? how many rmps and how many miles do i put on it first? how often do i change the oil? thanks for any info
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will need a base tune to account for new parts (don't even start it with bigger injectors till you have them in the tune) so it is driveable... I change the oil once after initial heat cycles, then again at 500 miles. Use only conventional oil, no synthetic (till after 3k miles)... Full tune after 500 miles.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright that makes sense. so what are the heat cycles? so i was looking to get a mail order tune initially until i get it tuned after its broken in. ill obviously wait and keep my stock injectors on till then but i should be able to drive it with a base tune for a few days/weeks? its a 228r on an m6 by the way.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat cycles - you run it at varying RPM between 1,500 and 3,000 (don't let it idle) and bring it up to operating temperature for a few minutes (about 10 minutes runtime) and then shut it down and let it cool... repeat. This puts heat in the valve springs and does initial seating of the rings... Yes, you can mail-order a tune for break in and it will be fine. 228R is a nice street car cam - I've tuned a couple of them and like the midrange it has...