PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start, electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, electrical problem.

When i turn the key to start my car, every light in the dash goes off except the "check engine" light. Then the car just makes one loud click sound every time you turn the key to start. I disconnect the battery for about 30 min and it starts up fine. It works like this every time. Below are things i have checked or changed.

Battery tested good.
New starter.
New ignition & starter relays.
All fuses (under hood and dash) are okay.
Checked every ground on the car, behind heads etc...
Tried different keys (and cleaning keys) thinking the VATS might be acting up.

Does my PCM need to be re-flashed? and has anyone had this kind of problem before? All input is greatly appriciated.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your flexplate may be warped or it may have damaged tooth, It happened to me twice.
If you only hear a "click" first hook a battery charger and try again. The battery may be bad or it's going to be soon.
When the "click" problem happens, try again and again many times, it may start.

If it doesn't start with charger hooked, take abig ratchet and turn the crankshaft pulley 1/4 turn and try again up to 3 times.

If the problen occurs sometimes, it may be the flexplate. If it happens always, it may be the battery
Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

I actually have rolled the motor from the crank bolt and got the same thing. I didnt see much wear on the old starter or the flexplate.
The battery tested good and i charged it fully one night and I got the same "click". The guy who tunned the car said the PCM was fine because it still holds the tune, he's never seen anything like it. I might try bypassing the VATS security i suppose. And thanks for the input i need all the help i can get on this one.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01'LSwon
I actually have rolled the motor from the crank bolt and got the same thing. I didnt see much wear on the old starter or the flexplate.
The battery tested good and i charged it fully one night and I got the same "click". The guy who tunned the car said the PCM was fine because it still holds the tune, he's never seen anything like it. I might try bypassing the VATS security i suppose. And thanks for the input i need all the help i can get on this one.
I have had this problem a few times.

If the flexplate is good, try another battery, it may start.

VATS has nothing to do with this problem.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Bad batt or starter = hi amp draw on the system = serious voltage drop = lights going out = no cranking speed.???
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^x2

what geezer said. this is gonna be a simple old fashioned connection problem. just gotta find it
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Ill find it somewhere, i drove it around today and it did fine as usuall. Pulled it back in the garage and killed it then tried to start it again, and same single click. The PCM is probably fine because it still holds the tune fine. I'll find it one way or another, i love my car too much and the season is ending soon.