PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem. BCM Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starting problem. BCM Help please.

Hello. I have a 96 firebird that was a 3.8 car that I have converted to SBC. I removed the whole pcm and its wiring harness but saved the bcm and still utilize it for all its functions.

The problem I am having is when I am starting the car for any kind of extended crank time the starter will sometimes disengage and sometimes when it does that it quickly tries to reengage causing the bendix to grind the starter ring momentarily.

I have the proper keys for the car and everything. It seems not to do this if the plugs are out and it has not compression. Has anyone had this problem or do you think it could be a intermittent faulty starter solonoid?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a similar problem, but mine was i got in the car at my buddies shop to leave after about 10 min and went to start the car and nothing happened. The lights came on but when i went to turn it over nothing. There are a bunch of things that can cause the problem your having.

1. Your resistor chip in your key is going bad.
-New key is expensive and could be a waist of your time if its something below.

2. You resistor chip reader in the ignition is not reading.
-There are 2 very thin wires on either side of the ignition that send the resistor frequency to the BCM. GM for 98-2002 F-Body's use 5 different resistances(I think its 5 would say +/-2) If the BCM is not getting it constantly then one of the wires on the inside of the ign could be loose and making contact off and on.
(this is what I would guess is your problem, it can be checked but its a pain in the *** to check!!! Trust me on that!!)

3. The last thing could be the BCM is going bad.
- This is the problem that my car had. After everything else is checked we found that the BCM had died and needed to be reflashed. The BCM can only be reflashed at a dealer and it will cost you about 60 bucks if i remember correctly.

I was able to bypass the BCM to start the car and drive it by grounding out the relay the is run by the BCM to the starter. Just have to make sure you ground out the correct pin.

Hope this helps good luck!!