Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killed another MAF. Need some good advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Killed another MAF. Need some good advice

I put a supercharger back on the car. Moved the MAF from before the charger to after. The layout is vertical and goes blow off valve, then about a ten inch distance to the MAF and another five inches to the meth nozzle and mouth of the throttle body. I monitor MAF frequency while driving on a Interceptor gauge. After going on a full throttle run the car starts stumbling and the MAF frequency numbers increase by about 1000 over the normal readings. Check engine light comes on and I get a MAF code and various O2 codes. My guess is the meth/water mix might be the problem? I have heard that about hot wire MAF meters being taken out by moisture. But is there something else that could be effecting the MAF? Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing you should be thinking about is not why you keep blowing MAF's, but why do you continue to use them. Go SD and flick it goodbye forever.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by macca_779
The thing you should be thinking about is not why you keep blowing MAF's, but why do you continue to use them. Go SD and flick it goodbye forever.
What do I need to go speed density? Can I get a ballpark mail order tune?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SD needs a good loaded chassis dyno tune. Not the cheap WOT tunes like most people get. Although speed density is probably better for you at this point, take some time to research and understand it.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Back to my original question. Any suggestions why I am killing MAF's?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's nothing wrong with your MAF. What happened is the MAF got maxed out and reported a code. You're making over 525whp, right? When I was running a MAF I used to get SES lights after going full throttle as well. The PCM thinks there's something wrong with the sensor because it normally doesn't get that high. At a certain Hz it will throw a code and fall back to SD, which is why the engine runs differently. After so many crank revs with sain MAF readings it will revert back to using the MAF exclusively.