PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scangauge mpg going wonky, MAF CEL, stock MAF no idle...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scangauge mpg going wonky, MAF CEL, stock MAF no idle...

Couple questions I guess.

First my scan gauge started showing wacky mpg's lately. anything from 5-300 at any random point. Then I get a CEL for MAF (p0102). I'm assuming these are related... The car seems to run fine. Don't know what a bad MAF will affect. Does anyone know what parameters the scangauge uses to calculate fuel economy?

I bought a stock screened MAF of ebay (claimed to be guarenteed working condition). Put it in my car, started it up, and it barely runs. All kinds of soot pouring out the exhaust, no response to anything under half throttle, then it'll rev to around 3k. Put my old MAF back in and it runs fine.

My old MAF isnt stock, I dont know what it is. I've attached a pic. No pic of the ebay maf, but I know its OEM. Both MAFs are 3 wire btw. The part that plugs in looks the same on both (AC logo, "this side towards air cleaner."

My car's never been tuned or anything, bone stock 2000 LS1. I've read that cars need tuning with a modified MAF's. I've had this mystery MAF for 4yrs, with typical MPG and power.

I'm gonna make a post in my local forum to try and borrow a stock MAF too, but I'd like some other input here

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

upong closer inspection, it would appear both MAFs are OEM, but someone put aftermarket ends on one of them. Found a thread on some buick forum to disect the part number, and turns out both are from 98, same part number.
So I guess both MAF's are bad? one just way worse than the other? FFFF

Still wondering about the scangauge and the CEL. And I do find it odd that they run so differently, esp considering it seems to run fine with teh MAF unplugged.