Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standalone EMS questions and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone EMS questions and advice needed

Okay short story, I am doing a "hot rod" project and currently have a 2008 LY5 5.3L motor and a T56 transmission to use. As I understand I have a IV Gen motor and is not quite as easy to transplant as a III Gen motor. Things like I do not have the ignition key, I hear this will be a problem. I do have the complete wiring harness and the stock ECM (this motor had an automatic behind it, not sure if this is a problem either).

I am going to shows so I would like to clean up the wiring harness and with that being said, a full blown aftermarket setup may work better for me. I will have to use a car intake and accessories to clear the hood, so the motor will not be in stock form once I am done. Eventually I would like to add a cam and other things but first I need to get this running.

My plan was to use a painless wiring kit and get a III Gen ECM, I believe this would not work right away because a few IV Gen things are different and I think I would need a few parts to make it work but after its all said and done would basically a III Gen motor. The cost on this added up to almost $1400 and that does not included the parts to convert my motor to a III Gen.

I am looking at like a FAST or BS3 standalone setup, this should come with the wiring harness and I would be change cams and have different program setups for the driving conditions. Like have a HP tune and an economy tune with the flip of a switch. I would like to be able to drive to a show (some shows are 400 miles each way) and when I get there put it back in HP tune for that unsuspecting mustang that did not see this coming.

Money is a bit of a concern but would hate to go cheap now and regret it later. If I had to change it out later would cost me way more. If there is something I am missing please let me know. If someone has advice on different aftermarket systems such as AEM or something I am all ears. Most of the searches I did brought up post over 2 years old. I figure newer products have been offered since then.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get the BS3 i run it on my lsx powered cobra i have mine with DAI and DAE you could ditch DAE if money is tight