Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning For Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning For Converter

I recently installed a converter from Circle D. Its a 278mm 3000-3200. I will be tuning the car using a friends EFILive. Im just doing the basics. Deleting Rear O2s, Speed cal, etc. I was wondering what I need to change for the converter. I have did some research and it seems most people are 1. Turning off torque management 2. changeing shift points. So my question is how do you turn off the torque management and what should I change the shift points to with the converter I have.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Launching!

TTt...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Anyone...?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02_camaroz28
I recently installed a converter from Circle D. Its a 278mm 3000-3200. I will be tuning the car using a friends EFILive. Im just doing the basics. Deleting Rear O2s, Speed cal, etc. I was wondering what I need to change for the converter. I have did some research and it seems most people are 1. Turning off torque management 2. changeing shift points. So my question is how do you turn off the torque management and what should I change the shift points to with the converter I have.
A small converter like that won't require too much tuning, but it will certainly help especially at part throttle. Circle D converters are typically tight, especially the smaller stalls. Did you change the rear gear as well? This will have an impact when tuning. If you've never tuned an A4 with a stall you will find most of the tuning is in the part throttle driving to enhance driveability.

- If the car is just a bolt on car with the stock heads and cam, leave the WOT shift points alone.
- Decrease the shift times values. This will help firm up the shifts to reduce some of the slippage inherit to a higher stall converter. The lower the value the faster and firmer the shifts.
- I would leave the line pressure values stock. Some increase it, but I would leave them stock. My .02
- TM is reduced in the Torque Reduction tables located in the Transmission Calibration sections. Simply zero the values in the Upshift and Downshift tables if that is what you want. You can also max out the value in the Max Allowed Engine Torque as well.
- Usually TC lockup will have to be changed, but this is very dependent on the converter. I ran a Yank 3200 years ago that required very little tuning and none for TC lockup. Anyway, you may have raise the TC lockup mph.
- You may experience random locking/unlocking of the TC. This is usually fixed by adusting the values in the misfire table.

Be prepared to drive and datalog to tweak and fine tune the trans characteristics to suit your driving style. I use EFIlive as well, so feel free to PM if you want some additional help.